Steel RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just ordered a steel for a double internal door opening on the ground floor; Above the door opening there is a wall made of concrete block.

The Steel is 178x102x12 and is 1700mm long. Architect asked for 250mm steel plates either side with a minimum of 100mm bearing.

The opening is currently a single door which I am enlarging, but what I didn't do is account for 230mm (concrete block on its side) I was adding to the existing door opening in order to move the new double doors away from the corner of the room. so the steel beam should have been 1930mm long.

This means my new RSJ at 1700mm would rest purely on the new blocks I will add on that side and not on the existing wall.

My question is this, the new blocks I am adding were going to be tied into the existing block work using the usual bar and ties; Is there any other method I can use whereby I can add the 230mm and it be strong enough to carry the steel beam?

Sponsored Links
The beam can have a 100mm bearing.

The blocks should be bonded into the wall they are attached to not just tied, else whilst potentially Ok for loading you risk having a permanent plaster crack up the joint

The beam can have a 100mm bearing.

The blocks should be bonded into the wall they are attached to not just tied, else whilst potentially Ok for loading you risk having a permanent plaster crack up the joint

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Can I ask what you would use to bond the blocks to the existing wall?

I was planning to cement them in but guessing you’re suggesting some sort of bonding agent instead to fix to the existing wall??

Ive been doing more thinking on this and thinking to add metal straps to each block on either side and strap them to the existing wall.

Sponsored Links
Bonding is not referring to an agent like James, but the process of lapping one block over another (or into your existing wall), to tie the new to the existing. This is instead of using steel ties.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back