steel pin in brass doorknob

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I got an old brass handle set for my front door lock (3R35). New ones are amazingly expensive.

It has a small brass thumb-snib to hold back the latch. This has a square steel shaft in it.

The steel has bar been cut back by a previous owner flush to the snib. I have a new piece of square steel, but can't see how to get the old one out. It is not pinned in place. I can remove the snib from the assembly.

Thinking of how it would have been made, I should think the shaft would have been pressed into place. For a small part it takes a fair amount of torque. I don't know if it would have been turned to fit in a round hole or not. The snib is quite thick-walled and does not look deformed out of round.

I'm trying to think of how to get it out so I can fit a new bar.

Any clever ideas? I do not have a drill press.

Sponsored Links
How long is the bit in the hole?

What about drilling into the remainder of the bar, then putting in a screw (the bar is what, 1/4"?)
Then a gentle heat around the brass bit (watch out if its lacquered)
Brass expands more than steel with applied heat.
With it in a vice, pull on the other bit. Or a bar under the vise grips, levering on the vice jaw

Maybe

Failing that, just drill it out, then use a small punch to push the corners in so it just falls out.

A good centre mark and good sharp drill bit will be required. It is easy to drill, as long as you hold it securely, and can drill a hole straight ;)

Sponsored Links
it wouldn't shift, I tried drilling it out. One of the corners fell out while I was drilling :) but I couldn't winkle the others out :( I ended up using a larger drill and giving the outside a squeeze to make it squareish and now have a tight enough fit to work.

"as long as you hold it securely, and can drill a hole straight"
workshop practice is one of my many failings :cry:

My new piece of square steel is very hard, I suspect it is from stock used for keyways. I tried to dremel through it for a retaining split-pin and just make a slight dimple :mad: the old one drilled fairly easily.

p.s. it is 1/8"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back