Steel wool on porcelain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove silicone residual from porcelain basin and toilet. I am going at it with a utility knife blade in a shaving motion and it is slow going. The internet says no steel wool. Anyone has actual experience of that? The knife blade is hard steel, not carbide, and not doing any damage. Why would steel wool be worse? It would be made from softer steel.

Sponsored Links
Knife blade does same. It's just lost of metal to the porcelain. I am pretty sure that is removable, but I will have to confirm.

I tend to use very sharp chisels to remove old silicone, if the area is flat, I first use my Olfa BTC-1 scraper

The blades are replicable.

I am not particularly fond of using wire wool, I prefer to use Webrax pads.

I do not see how wire wool will leave marks, but it isn't something that I have done.

The following recommends not using wirewool because of the risk of tiny fragments rusting in the grout or silicone.

Sponsored Links
Confirmed rough floor cloth and water removed knife blade grey. Tougher mark from metal impact was removed using the same + the pink stuff "cream" cleaner. This means the harsher polishing/cutting compound will also work.

The conclusion is that the internet is bull ox.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back