Steinel PIR Floodlight Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Looking to fit one of these outside on my house wall overlooking the back garden:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steinel-Sensor-Flood-Light-Black/dp/B005A33XBA

Steinel products seem to be rated well on here, and across the web. However what I need is for the light to be PIR controlled, but then a override switch on the wall (maybe on the outside wall, but maybe on the inside not sure yet) to make the light come permanently on or permanently off. So three 3 modes really.

Does anyone know if Steninel lights can do this as I can't find an answer anywhere, or I'm I better off buying another brand of LED floodlight?

I thinking of powering the light from a spur from the ring main, via a 3A FCU.

Thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
It's a light. If you supply power it will light; if you switch off the power it won't.

Most PIRs have the facility for permanent on by manipulating the switch (usually off/on/off/on) so you just need a normal switch left on for automatic operation.

It's a light. If you supply power it will light; if you switch off the power it won't.

Most PIRs have the facility for permanent on by manipulating the switch (usually off/on/off/on) so you just need a normal switch left on for automatic operation.

Thanks for that, I understand all that, but I don't know for sure if the Steinel light has the option for permanent override. Looking at the wiring instructions etc, it seems to imply it doesn't.

Sponsored Links
Ah, sorry. I thought from your question you were having a stand-alone sensor.

I cannot find any instructions which say either way.

http://www.steinel.de/en/Sensor-Swi...ed-outdoor-floodlight-XLED-home-1-Silver.html

Perhaps someone will have experience of these and know.

Thanks, no problem.

Hopefully someone knows, but if it does not do what I need maybe it's best to fit a remote sensor to the non pir version of the Steinel light. Or someone could recommend another good quality LED floodlight.

Most Steinel PIRs do NOT have the override feature. This is good because they do not come on and stay on all night if there is a short power cut or other transient that the PIR recognises as a "over ride ON" command.

Steinel are very well made and well worth the extra money.

Using a two gang switch Over Ride ON, Over Ride OFF and Automatic ( PIR ) can be achiveds but it requires three core and earth cable to the PIR

full

//www.diynot.com/diy/media/pir-with-overrides.32242/full?d=1300465543

For a free standing PIR I use this Steinel. ( also in white and stainless steel )

http://www.steinel.de/en/Motion-Det.../Infrared-motion-detector-IS-180-2-Black.html

Most Steinel PIRs do NOT have the override feature. This is good because they do not come on and stay on all night if there is a short power cut or other transient that the PIR recognises as a "over ride ON" command.

Steinel are very well made and well worth the extra money.

Using a two gang switch Over Ride ON, Over Ride OFF and Automatic ( PIR ) can be achiveds but it requires three core and earth cable to the PIR

full

//www.diynot.com/diy/media/pir-with-overrides.32242/full?d=1300465543

For a free standing PIR I use this Steinel. ( also in white and stainless steel )

http://www.steinel.de/en/Motion-Det.../Infrared-motion-detector-IS-180-2-Black.html

Thanks very much for this, looks like you are very experienced in using these Steinel products. I think I have more a requirement for a light that can be switched rather than PIR, but it would be nice to have the option for both. I take it if using the 2 gang switch I would need to do that with a separate PIR rather then using the light/PIR combo I linked to?

I also worry about the amount of cable needed to do this, given that it will be clipped to the wall looking a bit ugly!

Anyone recommended a good LED PIR light as good as the Steinel ones, but with inbuilt override function?

Thanks all

I avoid using combined lamp and PIR for a few reasons

[1] why spend money to replace the whole lamp fitting if ( when ) only the PIR fails.

[2] in many situations having the PIR located next the lamp means the person is not detected until they are close to the lamp. Having the sensor remote from the lamp means the lamp(s) can switch on before the person actual reaches the area that the lamp(s) illuminates.

I avoid using combined lamp and PIR for a few reasons

[1] why spend money to replace the whole lamp fitting if ( when ) only the PIR fails.

[2] in many situations having the PIR located next the lamp means the person is not detected until they are close to the lamp. Having the sensor remote from the lamp means the lamp(s) can switch on before the person actual reaches the area that the lamp(s) illuminates.

Yes good points. But having a remote sensor also increases cabling on the outside wall which I don't want as it looks ugly. I want the cable to come out behind the combined light/pir so no cabling is on the wall.

Thanks for that, I understand all that, but I don't know for sure if the Steinel light has the option for permanent override. Looking at the wiring instructions etc, it seems to imply it doesn't.
It will work of course. I have installed one with a three-position (centre off) switch for this, i.e. PIR actuated, off, or permanently on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back