Steinel PIR Floodlight Question

Sponsored Links
I was thinking. The only reason why I want the light on all time is when we are in the garden having a bbq etc. But the fact that we are in the garden will mean the pir will see us and turn the light on. So I think just a pir one with no switch will do the job hopefully!

So I think just a pir one with no switch will do the job hopefully!

It just doesn't work. Imagine - you are sitting down munching your lobster and you are plunged into darkness. Somebody has to stand up and wave their arms around for the light to go on. 5 minutes later you are in darkness again.

Believe me, your friends will only visit you the once...

Sponsored Links
No switched live on the lamp I linked to though.

The Steinel site has the operating instructions
http://www.steinel.de/out/pictures/media/bedien_110019308.pdf

These clearly show there is L, N, Earth AND a switch live terminal marked L2(L').

This L2 terminal is your over-ride connection to turn the light permanently on from the switch.

Talk to the maker if yours has a missing terminal o_O

Thanks for this. I thought the L2 was to power another light? Ie the next light in a chain?

So I think just a pir one with no switch will do the job hopefully!

It just doesn't work. Imagine - you are sitting down munching your lobster and you are plunged into darkness. Somebody has to stand up and wave their arms around for the light to go on. 5 minutes later you are in darkness again.

Believe me, your friends will only visit you the once...

Haha, good call. Although I wish I could afford lobster!

These clearly show there is L, N, Earth AND a switch live terminal marked L2(L').

This L2 terminal is your over-ride connection to turn the light permanently on from the switch.

Thanks for this. I thought the L2 was to power another light? Ie the next light in a chain?
That's what it is intended for, but doesn't change the fact that it is still the switched connection.

That's what it is intended for, but doesn't change the fact that it is still the switched connection.

So if I wire my live into there from a switch that will turn the light on and off? When it's off it will be PIR mode?

From the FCU connect the earth the the back box of the switch, ( or if a switch with a metal plate then to the earth terminal on the switch ) then extend it to the Earth in the PIR and the earth in the lamp.

Wire the Neutral to the Neutral in the PIR and the Neutral in the lamp

Wire the Live to L1 on one of the switches.

Wire the two commons together and extend to the LIVE on the PIR

Wire the other L1 to the SL on the PIR and the Live on the lamp.

As here ( I should labelled the terminals on the PIR and the lamp with L N E and SL
full

From the FCU connect the earth the the back box of the switch, ( or if a switch with a metal plate then to the earth terminal on the switch ) then extend it to the Earth in the PIR and the earth in the lamp.

Wire the Neutral to the Neutral in the PIR and the Neutral in the lamp

Wire the Live to L1 on one of the switches.

Wire the two commons together and extend to the LIVE on the PIR

Wire the other L1 to the SL on the PIR and the Live on the lamp.

As here ( I should labelled the terminals on the PIR and the lamp with L N E and SL
full

Thanks but the lamp and PIR are one unit?

Almost certainly inside the "junction box" between the lamp and the PIR into which you wire your cable there will be terminal blocks for your wires.

Three of them will be labelled L N and E
L is where you connect the Live from the commons in the switch.
N is where you connect the Neutral from the FCU
E is the earth

There is almost certainly a fourth terminal ( maybe labelled SL or S ) joining a wire from the PIR ( probably red in colour ) to a wire into the lamp ( probably white ) that is the Switched Live and to this you add the wire from the L1 in the switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back