Stelrad radiators - How do you bleed them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I already checked here first, but it didn't really answer my question:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/plumbing:faq:faq16

I'm an absolute amateur. Just moved in to a rented end terrace house and though it is modern (2008) build with a seemingly decent Combi boiler system, the house seems quite cold even when the thermostat is set to 21C and all the radiator thermostatic valves are on the highest setting (5)

The radiators don't seem to get very hot at all, so I wanted to try bleeding them but a standard rad-key I have doesn't fit these Stelrad rads throughout the house.

It seems to just have a slotted nut, surrounded by a plastic 'tap' which I guess allows you to direct the flow of water in to a cup.

So presumably I just use a slot-head screwdriver to bleed them?

Sponsored Links
Sometimes rad keys are a very tight fit in the plastic fitting. You can use a screwdriver, providing the vent hasn't been overtightened.
Looking at the vent end on, anticlockwise to open, clockwise to shut. Have a cloth to catch any water. Make sure your heating is off. If there's a lot of air, you may need to keep topping up your system via the filling loop as you vent.

This type of rad key generally fits all, when the brass ones don't.
1329920564-72852500.jpg

That's basically the same key as I have, but there's no way that fits anything at either end of the top of these radiators.

I mean I know generally where bleed valves are and these Stelrad ones are completely different to the square ones you see on most radiators.

Sponsored Links
Standard rad key fits it unless key is worn

Yes, the vent screw is probably rounded off if the key won't fit, or your key is damaged.

Should have gone to Specsavers.
Had no-one else spotted the screwdriver slot?

Your boiler will have a temperature knob for the heating circuit. How's that set? If that is set too low your rooms will take donkeys to heat up, regardless to how the stat or TRVs are set.

If you'd read the thread properly, we KNOW you can use the screwdriver slot, he want's to know why his rad key won't fit. That is what we don't know..... :mrgreen:
The vent screws have a tendency to half break off if they're very tight and you use the slot to undo them..

Apparently they're all rounded, by abuse or design, who knows, the picture isn't one of them - it's an example. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back