Steps to front door on sloping ground. Rise and going?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am designing a porch on the front of my house. Trying to get the rise the same on the first two steps, up to the porch floor and then into the house, 4 steps in total including floors.

Assuming the steps are wrap around steps where do I measure the rise from? The center of the door or the highest point above ground on the first step?

Below is drawn with the minimum going of 280 and the rise calculated from the highest point right on the first step, with the steps running into the ground.

Is this correct as the rise centre of the door will obviously be different on the first step?

Also is rise calculated from step to floor level or from step to door threshold as drawn below and as on current existing steps now.

10380210_10152273422428725_2227124067386103554_o.jpg

couldn't get the image to show for some reason try the link below

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd....0_10152273422428725_2227124067386103554_o.jpg

Steps and porch floor level being recalculated because the door is moving therefore the rise changes.

Any pointers in the right direction much appreciated. Mark

Sponsored Links
You must ignore the lay of the land and concentrate on the goings and risings of the treads, even if this means adding or removing soil? etc. either side, to accommodate...pinenot :)

I don't see anything wrong with what the OP drew, no need to go digging any earth out to make the bottom step a consistent height.

I cant dig out as this would leave a hole in my drive, the land slopes and the drive follows. I would have to dig the whole drive way out and level it, probably exposing the house foundations.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back