Sterling 40 ST 108 with inetrmittent lockout

Anyone still there???
Did the cap solve the problem?
I've got a grandee conventional wall mounted thats locking out increasingly often.

Sponsored Links
Managed to get a guy down from Heating World to have a look at it on Sat morning:
He updated bottom baffle with a later design. I had already hoovered out the baffle box.
Removed burner, ajusted electrodes, cleaned delivery area, fitted new nozzle (50x 80 rather than a 60x80),renewed gasket and re-assmbled.

I had moved the oil tank some 6 weeks ago and extended the 10mm line about a metre using a compression elbow. He undid this and applied red hermatite type sealer to olives and threads.

Back to boiler, after bleeding he checked pump pressure with gauge, C02 etc with electronic meter, all good.

He critized balanced flue for not having a inlet baffle box fitted (never had been fitted), he said that without this the boiler would get a big slug of freezing cold air (weather conditions depending) on initial start which could cause lockout. This little boiler does make a lot of noise outside the house. He did promise to send this down, but still waiting on this.

After he left, leaving me a new flexipipe with NRV, a spare pump with coil attached I noticed combustion fumes coming out of the baffle access cover which I resealed with Heat Mate high temp silicone mastic cost 8 quid.
He was onsite for 2 hours, did the service, left the spare bits and charged me £110 cash, after having driven 70 odd miles to get to me.

It has locked out a few times since with different symptoms, when air temp is very cold and damp, a double start (clicking and firing quickly within a second or so). But otherwise much improved. I think it was a combination of leaking air into oilline, lack of a service and the lack of a baffle on the inlet. Did I get a good deal?

Hi mate,

I changed the capacitor on this one and it sorted it right out and i had a mate whose was doing the same thing. He changed the capacitor and hey presto solved.

Another thing i did notice was that mine had a tendency to do it when very windy!!!

Grill

Sponsored Links
Thanks Grill,
Its an EcoFlam burner on this one, where would I find the cap situated. Do I have to drop the burner out to get to it?

Thinking about it, it was over the last few weeks when we have had strong northerly winds blowing directly on to wall where flues are that the lockout has been worst.

I'm not confident that the problem has been fully resolved, but it didn't lock out last night (but then there was absolutely no wind). :idea:

Alright mate,

Im not really that clued in on different oil burners but the capacitor should be readily reachable from teh outside of teh burner. On some Riello burners though they are hard wired in.

On my Sterling the capacitor just screwed into teh main body of teh burner and a black cap fitted over the top of it. Really easy to change. When looking at my burner it is at the bottom left towards the front. You cant miss them really. They are clyindrical and about 2 " long.

Grill

Are Grill and Spandon for real??

Grill is a Corgi guy and does not know where the capacitor is and how to check it?

"On some Riello burners though they are hard wired in"

How else are they fitted then? With an air gap?

Ye Gods :rolleyes:

After he left, leaving me a new flexipipe with NRV, a spare pump with coil attached I noticed combustion fumes coming out of the baffle access cover which I resealed with Heat Mate high temp silicone mastic cost 8 quid.
He was onsite for 2 hours, did the service, left the spare bits and charged me £110 cash, after having driven 70 odd miles to get to me.

Did I get a good deal?

He had a 140 mile round trip spent two hours fixing your boiler and left you with £45-£50's worth of oil pump and coil for £110. A busy fool methinks :D

Did I get a good deal?

He had a 140 mile round trip spent two hours fixing your boiler and left you with £45-£50's worth of oil pump and coil for £110. A busy fool methinks :D

Two hours fixing the boiler?

Then why then leave you with a load of spares if it was fixed? Did he expect you to fit them, bleed the pump adjust the PP etc?

Far to cheap IMHO :LOL:

Was it a warranty job?

Paffman,

I dont know if you are aware but CORGI people fix GAS boilers. Hence i dont fix OIL boilers.

You have contributed nothing to this thread.

Well done.

G

Paffman,

I dont know if you are aware but CORGI people fix GAS boilers. Hence i dont fix OIL boilers.

You have contributed nothing to this thread.

Well done.

G

CORGI people do not fix gas boilers, Gas Safe do - dur :rolleyes:

That's as may be, but at least I do know what, where a capacitor is and how to check it. A simple read of the manual burner diagram would have shown you where the capacitor was.

P.S and it's not in volts.

Anyhow, keep to the gas if that's what you are good at :?:

Corgi in N.Ireland wee lad.

Yet again contribution zero.

G

Just for info it was the cutoff solenoid in the pump that had failed, I robbed the one out the spare pump he had left me and sorted it myself.

I have heard that Heating World have gone belly up, anyone know if this is the case? might prove a problem for spares in future if it is.

PS The baffle that he spent nearly an hour f--king about with an angle grinder now sounds like it it is going to jump out of the flue most times that the boiler fires up. Will this cause any more serious problems in the future? if not then I'll learn to live with it.
Thanks for the advice previously.

No warranty - cash in hand for his drinking money.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back