Sticking down lifted silicone - window frames

Yeah, I am recommending wall filler, to fill the gap. You can then use acrylic frame sealant over that (once you have primed the filler).

If you used wall filler only, a hairline crack will appear where the wall meets the window. You could use regular caulk rather than acrylic but you can't clean regular caulk so easily if it gets dirty.

Acrylic isn't as flexible as silicone but it is more than adequate in this case.

BTW, you may need a very sharp chisel to remove the old traces of silicone on the plaster.

edit---- although the gap is very small, the filler will help to cover the damage to the paint caused by removing the silicone.

Sponsored Links
Ah I see, makes sense. So Tourpret thinly over the bare plaster to the existing psint, then sand.

Paint the reveal white (I'm going to paint the hole room white before painting pale pink, the white will help).

Then frame sealant, thin bead.

Looking around the house it's a mix really, some windows appear to have no bead of anything, some have half decent silocone, some crap silicone.

My best guess is they did the windows and did not use silicone, then whoever decorated here did the silicone. The only decent silicone is by the back French doors which I suspect was done professionally.

So, kind of off odd that over half the windows have nothing between the reveal and upvc!

Well I'm making good progress on this, got my frame sealant in and tooled instead of the manky silicone - it actually looks pretty decent :)

The filling first (then priming) looked okay too.

Seems it takes an age to cure though, 3-5 days!

Not sure if I should treat like caulk and paint over (otherwise it attracts dust and goes horrible), or like silicone, paint up to but not over it.

I think the best finish may be if pretend like it's silicone, just not sure if it will dry and clean like that though.

Sponsored Links
It should be cleanable, meaning that you don't need to paint it. But you will lose nothing by doing so (ie painting over it). Let us know how you get on, it helps other forum visitors.

I shall. We're at sbout 36 hours now and it's still soft and tacky currently painted up to it in the interests of making progress.

I think if I said I've got to down tools for 5 days and keep us in a state of limbo my wife would explode lol. We're having our family bathroom redone (the room next door). The whole house is total chaos! The sound of gear needed for a bathroom, done properly, is just insane, and 120*60 tiles certainly take up space!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back