Sticking gear!

ih

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi For the past few days family car mainly driven by my wife is complaining of intermetent fault where by
Difficullt to engage in first gear (from start) how ever if the car is moving in slow motion then there is no
Problem as such ( retired neighbour with some knowledge thinks problem related to clutch cable needing
Adjustment) the car has hydrolic cable so is adjustment possible? Or is it clutch slave cylinder related problem
(My info from internet) thanking in advance for advise/help
Car Kia soul tempest year 2010 petrol 28k miles regularly dealer serviced regreatfull 7year warranty expired
January 2017 car is 1.6
Regards

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though the clutch is not disengaging properly, to check see if it goes into gear OK without the engine running, if it does its the clutch. Check there isn't a mat or something preventing the pedal going right down. If the pedal is going nearly to the floor the fluid may need topping up.

Peter

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
Hi many thanks peter without the engine running the gears donot engage easily!

Could be that they are baulking because the oil is cold, do all gears not engage easily? Changing the gearbox oil may help. Do you have to push the pedal right to the floor to disengage the clutch?

Peter

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
If the gears don't cooperate with the engine off, I'd suggest getting the cable gear linkage checked.
John :)

• Thanks
Car has done under 3k miles serviced dec 2016 at start up first gear is sticky then once movement stars all ok also
Neighbour who had a look did say the clutch pedal needs to come up a bit ( so peter to answer you yes have to push
The pedal right down to disengage)
John many thanks for your input will get the linkage checked just for my knowledge
Is hydrolic cable adgustable?

The only thing you can do is to ensure the fluid level is high, and the system has been bled. I don't suppose any work has been done on the clutch of late? Although your mileage is low, it is possible for the clutch to wear prematurely.
With the engine switched off though, selection should be quite smooth.

• Thanks
John no work has been done of late fyi new clutch was fitted under warranty @ 8k miles (manufacturers original
Fault on reverse gear there was humming noise) i have just checked with the engine
Off there is no problem engaging gears!

Last edited:
You can adjust the hydraulic clutch assembly but they are meant to be self adjusting by design.

Have a look under/ around the clutch pedal there will be an adjuster (rod and locknut probably). Normall you want approx 10mm of free play at the end of the pedal.

• Thanks
Just thinking about the C'eed - which I'm sure will be a similar design - with the pedal up naturally, is it possible to lift it up any further?
I'm thinking of a master cylinder issue here, if there is no air in the system.

• Thanks
Morning john it is not possible to lift padel upwards (only the free play on moving the pedal up or down!

All sounds pretty much in order, unless the clutch is quite heavily worn for some reason.
Does the car crunch a little going into reverse, or ever start to creep forward even with the clutch pedal fully down? I'm wondering if the master cylinder is misbehaving by not fully disengaging the clutch.

But it doesn't go into gear without the engine running so I can't see it's the clutch. This car may be low mileage but has it been driven badly and the gearbox abused? Think I'd start with an oil change.

With the engine running and clutch pedal depressed, try to engage first gear. If it won’t go in, keep your foot on the pedal and keep the pressure on the gearstick as if you are trying to engage first gear then switch the engine off. If it drops into gear as soon as the engine stops, your clutch is 'dragging' - not fully disengaging. If there is no free play on the pedal and you have the same pressure at the pedal as you have always had, the clutch itself needs replacing.

Sponsored Links
Back