x reg polo gears/clutch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Im looking for some advice on my girlfriends car please.

Basically very difficult to get into gear, especially 1st and 2nd. I can manage to if I really push very hard on the clutch- feels like my foot will go through the car :)
Also you barely have to lift the clutch to get 'biting point' in fact Im sure it actually moves sometimes with the clutch pressed.

Just started a business so money is a wee bit tight at the moment but hopefully I'll get it to a garage in the next couple of weeks and was wondering what you think might be the problem, just so I have a little knowledge before I go to garage.

A mate reckoned it was just the clutch cable needing tightened but someone else told me you cant adjust these on this model? If it is a case of this, do you know the average cost of this?
Hopefully it wont need a new clutch but if so, also what is the average cost please?

Many thanks in advance, if you have the time to help.

Cheers
:mrgreen:

ps 1.4 petrol, 65000 on clock if needed.

Sponsored Links
Just found out the pedal box is split and needs to be replaced.
Been quoted £320 (68 for part and 4 hours labour+vat)

Does this sound good/bad price wise?

Any feedback appreciated, cheers.

Sponsored Links
If the pedal box cannot be welded in place (a back street garage with good mechanics, not main dealer) go for one from your local breaker (£50 tops). Get a few quotes for fitting when you have the replacement in the boot. Make sure you get the correct one year/model etc.

Unless you want to have a stab at replacing it yourself, you could buy her a Haynes manual for the birthday?

PS
Not that easy to fit, so be careful

Back