Sticking light mirror to drywall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure if this is the correct section to post in. I have a lightweight 55x60cm mirror from IKEA that I want to mount on top of a few rows of tiles above a basin in the bathroom. The mirror rests on the tiles. I don't really want to use the clips supplied because it makes the mirror stick out too much. The mirrors weight is supported by the tiles. I want to just glue this straight onto the wall. Can I just use regular white sanitary silicone?

Sponsored Links
I used one of the No More Nails products at least 15 years ago, for the exact same situation, and I know the mirror is still in place today. A quick google shows that their One For All range is suitable for use on mirrors, so I imagine that would be a good choice, but it was called something else when I used it. They have Universal, Super Grab and Crystal options available.

http://www.unibond.co.uk/en/diy-adhesives/one-for-all/universal.html

Sticks like shxt is great stuff a few squirts on the back of the mirror and apply to wall you might have to hold it onto the wall with some tape until the gripfix has gone off.

Sponsored Links
Sanitary silicone will probably be ok but there is an outside risk of the acetic acid in the silicone etching its way through the foil backing on the mirror. Personally I have never seen that happen though.

I'd be inclined to use a either mirror adhesive, or one of the types of products recommended by misterhelpful, the main reason being the degree of initial grab that they will give you (thereby reducing the risk of the mirror tilting forward and falling off whilst you are waiting to the adhesive to cure).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back