Sticking motorised valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

There's a problem with the central heating in my partner's house (currently rented out).

Description of the problem is slightly vague, but apparently after the hot water has been on, the central heating has to be turned on manually at the programmer. Originally I assumed a programmer fault, but was subsequently told it could only be turned on after waiting some time. A gas fitter replacing a valve on the boiler suggested a problem with the motorised valve. (The tenants have lived with the problem since moving in 18 months ago before telling us, and the previous tenant was hardly ever there, so the problem may have been there for some time.)

System is an ancient boiler originally with gravity DHW, modernised 7 - 8 years ago - Danfoss FP715 Programmer, room thermostat, cylinder thermostat, 3 port motorised valve. (I think everything was Danfoss.) My partner lived in the house for several years after the upgrade and it worked fine, so it's not an installation problem.

I assume this has to be the valve or the programmer - what do I do to diagnose which? Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The 3 port valve fails in hot water position by default so heating won't work because motor in the 3 port valve head needs replacing. or the head can be replaced. if it is Honeywell then just motor can be replaced. If not then whole head can be replaced usually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back