sticking scrim tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scrim tape sticks well to nice clean dry plasterboards but that's about it. it refuses to stick to anything else. The other day i tried spraying the wall with a little bit of spray glue (carpet glue), and the tape sticks to it like you know what to a blanket. The question is. does anyone else do this? is it ok to do? will it cause problems in the future?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
We tend to use a little bit of mixed skimming to help the reluctant scrim tapes, just like with jute scrim in t' old days.

I can't see the adhesive being a problem provided you do not wander all over the boards, i.e. keep the carpet adhesive localised to the area of the scrim only.

Scrim tape sticks well to nice clean dry plasterboards but that's about it. it refuses to stick to anything else. The other day i tried spraying the wall with a little bit of spray glue (carpet glue), and the tape sticks to it like you know what to a blanket. The question is. does anyone else do this? is it ok to do? will it cause problems in the future?
Cheers
As noseall says, scrim will stick OK (ish) to dry PB but you should brush any dust off the joints first. Personally I would not advise using carpet glue, you never know what sort of reaction you might get. If applying tape to cracked original plaster try PVA,ing the wall first (after any other prep), let it dry & then your tape will stick quiet well; but you will still need the normal PVA prep before plastering. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks fellas. The only problem with doing things differently is that it may well come back to bite you in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back