Sticky Oily Goo Leaking From Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All my double glazed windows have an oily slime seeping out at the bottom.

I have wondered why since buying the house in 2013.

Today I was removing a glazing panel to sort a jammed window (another posting to come!) and think I know the problem.

The black glazing tape around the glass appears to have “weeped” a golden oily residue which is only cleanable with white spirit. When I took the glazed unit out there was a pool of golden oil at the bottom but unfortunately I didn’t take a photo until it was cleaned up. You can see the residue of it and also what the frames look like at the bottom with this stuff on it. Also there is a photo of the oil still on the beading when I was taking it apart.

I have used white sprit to clean the tape, especially at the bottom where it is worse. The spacers has stuck to the gluey yuck.

I can’t think of anywhere the “oil” can come from apart from the glazing tape. I have seen lots of "insulating" tape do the same thing and the stickiness starts to oose downwards. Is this a problem anyone else has had with double glazed units?

Looks like I will have to remove every pane to resolve properly – well until the tape does more funny things!
A.JPG
B.JPG

Sponsored Links
Yes it's been discussed here before, conclusion was it was a certain brand of tape the glass shop were using that was reacting with something, probably the hotmelt or polysulphide

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back