Window won't open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of double glazed window that do not open.

I have had this before and a builder friend managed to fix it.

I am not sure how he did fix it but he basically took the glass out and somehow got to the mechanism. Sadly I didn’t watch the rest. A metal part had snapped so it was only unlocking the top part (or the bottom – can’t remember).

Once he replaced the metal strip it all worked.

I can’t contact him (I have tried) so thought I would give a shot.

I took the glazed panel unit out but clearly there is more to it than that.

I can’t get to the mechanism, so I suspect I need to somehow get the window open to access the broken bit and then get a replacement.

From the photos you can see that this window is unlocked at the top but not the bottom.

Photos of the latches (on another window) show they drop into metal channels so a simple wiggling in an “L” shaped thingy to flip the lock up would work would it.

Also on the big window I looked at there are 4 sticky out locking things with 2 quite central so there may be 2 to shift (although I assume they would be linked). Also there is a prong that sticks out to further secure it.

Not sure what to try but willing to have a go. The worst that could happen is I end up having to buy a new window here. But if I sus it, I can fix this and the other 2 that have broken in the same way.

Any ideas?

C.JPG
D.JPG
E.JPG

Sponsored Links
I just saw this on another thread where they hit it hard and it unlocked - mine is vertically hinged and it is the bottom mech not moving so I have it tougher I think...

"I had a bottom opening window which would not open due to broken opening mechanism one side was free,the other side stuck. Tried forums,u tube etc no joy.Thought my insurance had run out but on checking, it hadn't so called them and service engineer came round and this is how he fixed it....
Established which side was locked, applied a little pressure then wellied the opposite side (lower corner) twice with the heel of his hand thus springing the stuck side-I was gobsmacked! Mechanism replaced total time 10 min. No damage whatsoever.
May be of use to someone-the direction of the blows was sideways.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/stuck-upvc-window.378500/#ixzz6l2vkzG2q"

You've done right in taking the glass out as it gives the opener scope to flex, so the shoot bolt is still engaged if you can't move one of the corners if the opposite is free so the opener has to be lifted over the striker keep on the frame, either use winbags or a good rigid flat scraper and slip it between the frame and opener and lever it open, it's as simple as that

Finally opened it.
Made a “tool” – a bent flathead 3” nail, then I filed the flat head bit off (probably didn’t need to as I had removed the glass). I bent it in the wrong place so hacksawed the end off.

Took the glass out again (need to perfect a method of taking the mitred infill strips without damaging then – need a better scraper that is more solid and not too wide I think).

Then I used the Win Bags I bought to prise the window open at the top.

I removed the handle for better access (left on unlock position of course).

There are 4 “bolts”. The top two appeared linked and the bottom two appeared linked.

TOP BOLTS: The top one moves down and the one just above the centre handle moves up on a linked movement – these were working. That is why I could push the window at the top and insert the Win Bags.

LOWER BOLTS: On the bit that wasn’t working there is a bolt at the bottom that moves up and the one just below the centre handle moves down.
I slipped my bent nail in the middle, based on rough measurements I took from another similar window. Then I rotated it 90 degs and moved it down with pliers. Wasn’t obvious but I felt I had dislodged something. Then I slid the bent nail in near the bottom, rotated it and moved it up – I don’t think this was what opened the window at the bottom as I think the window popped open as I was fiddling with the bent nail wondering which way it was rotated. Maybe a good knock would have freed it?

It was dark by than and no shops open so I have removed the lock plate brackets / stays from the bottom so can still lock it at the top.

When it is daylight and the shops are open (one day soon) I will dismantle the mech and see if I can sort spare parts out.
Next step is to make the tool better so it doesn’t damage the rubber seal that sits on the outside facing part of the frame where the window closes into. You can see in the photo how I am distorting the rubber by inserting the (giant) bent nail near the handle. Maybe I could use some grease.
Cheers for looking and glad I opened it. Got 2 more windows to sort now but another day.

Unlocked 1.JPG
Unlocked 2.JPG

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back