Stinky Kitchen - Waste connection and untrapped entry?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Looking to get some opinions to ensure I'm not missing something before I engage with my landlord about a problem I'm having with a stinky kitchen. We're getting intermittently smelly kitchen, broadly a 'light' sewage smell.

I took the skirt off the kitchen base units to track where the waste was and its directly below the kitchen sink. The 'seal' is just sort of sitting on top of where the pipe enters the hole in the slab with the waste pipe just able to loosely move up and down if I hold it.
Wate connection.jpg

There is also a weird semi-sealed T-junction with a pipe from the wall which is probably the boiler condensate discharge (its comes out of the wall, looks like its supposed to seal, but it isn't sealed as I can easily move it).
No trap.jpg

Is this likely to be the cause of my kitchen stink?

(In case it could be somehow related - I've also got a different problem with the bath drain siphoning the bathroom sink trap, resulting in a stinky bathroom when I drain the bath - but this is a different internal waste thats boxed in, in the middle of the house - but it does seem that the dishwasher in the kitchen drains into that).

Sponsored Links
The smell could be from the dishwasher siphoning.

Blup

Sorry if it was unclear. I'm pretty sure the dishwasher is connected into a different soil stack which goes up to the main bathroom. That soil stack has a siphoning problem in the main bathroom, but this issue seems to be related to sewer smells somehow entering the kitchen. They're probably all connected up in the slab, but I don't know how, or if that could cause a transfer of the problem.

push the black rubber seal back into position

maybe a plumber or so has been doing something with the waste pipe and dislodged the seal

Sponsored Links
First picture, the black adaptor should be square on the end on the 4" drain which it caps, looks to me like its been dislodged, (unless the drain is at a funny angle!), you'll need to try and see whats going on, and replace it in it's correct position. May still be some slight movement on the waste, but its designed to seal on an interference fit, so push waste through into required position then leave well alone.

Boiler condensate, if that is connecting into the waste using a rubber boss adaptor, some movement is to be expected, but as long as it is airtight, it should be fine. Whole setup will move at present as the black drain adaptor isn't fitted in/over the end of the drain as it should be, which in turn will hold the waste pipe steady as described above.

Bathroom, we have Basins in a bathroom. (Sinks are found in kitchens etc. ;)) Suspect Bath and Basin wastes are on a common waste, bath will pull the basin trap when discharging, as it'll fill the pipe and cause a suction effect in any empty pipework upstream of the flow. Fit an Anti Vac trap to the Basin, this should solve the issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back