Stinky water in water butts

You collect the water to save money, then spend even more money on loads of chemicals. Is this some kind of cabal ploy? Feels like it. I would uninstall the tank and be happy.

My water butt is working well, collecting the rainfall off the summerhouse, which is at the extreme rear of the garden - a long walk carrying a watering can. She can just draw off what she wants now, straight from the water butt. Reading the discussion on comfrey (thanks), we have just ordered some seed.

Sponsored Links
My water butt is working well, collecting the rainfall off the summerhouse, which is at the extreme rear of the garden - a long walk carrying a watering can. She can just draw off what she wants now, straight from the water butt. Reading the discussion on comfrey (thanks), we have just ordered some seed.
You could just as easily cart the watering can around or use a hose. You still have the same problem if you want to water the midpoint of the long garden.

Using chlorinated tap water on plants is a waste of resources imo

I've got various water butts (drums), ibcs, tanks all round the garden coming off outbuildings, some of them have hoses running off them so you don't have to carry the water.

I've never noticed a problem with smelly water, if I did I would empty the tank, clean it, let it refill

It’s not just water butts. Sometimes, when I service a car and I’m standing by the open drivers door operating the lights, horn, wipers, washers etc, I can get a spraying of stinky windscreen was water right in my face if the owner hasn’t (or doesn’t know how) used the windscreen washers for months and it gone stagnant. :sick:

Sponsored Links
I note that Wilko sells a liquid that is specifically designed to stop water butts becoming smelly.

They claim that, for £10.50, it will treat upto 6500L

You collect the water to save money, then spend even more money on loads of chemicals. Is this some kind of cabal ploy? Feels like it. I would uninstall the tank and be happy.

My parents are not on a water meter. As things currently stand, the butts are not a means to save money. I suspect it is more a desire to take the load of the water grid and sewers. The house is terraced and shares a gutter with the property next door. The two butts (250L in total) are supplied by approximately 60-70m² of roof space.

I must say that I am disappointed that you haven't provided a link to some kind of YouTube flat earth video that insists that people should water their plants with Brawndo

You could just as easily cart the watering can around or use a hose. You still have the same problem if you want to water the midpoint of the long garden.

It's long, it's wide. An automated watering system now picks up most of it, it's just a few items at the very far end, which need manual watering. The can and the butt are handy for that, though she is talking about a green house now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back