stone cill - advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on our stone window cills on new build (~9 years). I believe these are just precast stone cills to look like natural sand stone. I've noticed over the years, the surface on some of the stone cills are degrading slightly as seen from the rough surface (and revealing some of the compacted aggregate). This is more noticeable on the cills to the rear of the house.
I'm unsure if this is normal, or perhaps the general quality of the cills are poor or defective?

However, there is one particular cill in the rear upper bedroom that is degrading more rapidly compared to all the others. Assume due to the location of it being more exposed?

Hence, I'm looking for some advice on this in terms of what i could possibly do to protect and reduce this degrading further?
Obviously I would not want to paint this with a coloured masonry, and want to see if there are other potential solutions?

Would a transparent coating to give it waterproofing such as an impregnating sealer be a good option and still enable it be fully breathable etc. As I assume protection from the elements will be the main aspect to limit this degrading due to weathering etc?

Or do i need to consider an actual physical repair on these? If so what would that be?

You can see from the surface it looks pretty rough and exposed based on the worst cill in the Guest bedroom below. While the other cills are not as bad but do show some signs of degrading. Would impregnating sealer work?

GuestBed1
GuestBed2
GuestBed3
GuestBed4
GuestBed5
GuestBed6
GuestBed7

Guest Ensuite
GuestEnsuite1
GuestEnsuite2

Family
Family1
Family2
Family3
Family4

Kitchen
Kitchen1
Kitchen2
Kitchen3

BedroomA
BedroomA1
BedroomA2
BedroomA3

BedroomB
BedroomB1
BedroomB2

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back