stone guttering needs sealing/lining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am getting some damp above the windows upstairs and the problem seems to be that the old stone guttering needs lining. One contractor has recommended lead lining. Another has recommended bitumen/torch on felt. In each case they remove the bottom rows of tiles and slot the lining underneath. The first option is a lot more expensive! Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Ideally get rid of them !

They are nothing but trouble and it is possible to cut them off and remove and fit a standard fascia board and gutter set up.

If you cant stretch to this i would buy a paint on product called acrypol.

You should be able to buy at your local roofing merchant or online but dont be fooled by cheap imitations of the product, get the named brand.

Simply clean out the gutters and wash down to a dirt and dust free finish and paint a couple of coats on the inside of the gutter, should last ages.

I don't think getting rid of the gutters is an option. The stone guttering is a feature of the whole row of cottages which date back to about 1840 and I'm in the middle! But I had never heard of Acrypol. Will look into that. Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
If it were mine i would simply do as regency said.Also you could probably get away without removing the bottom courses of slates.Acrypol is £45 per 5 litre tin but worth every penny,plenty on ebay if you cannot source localy.

Acypol is OK if the substrate is dry, but a sod if its wet. Also very thick and sticky as 'ell.

As an alternative to Acrypol, someone has suggested fibreglass. But a neighbour has said that, like Acrypol, the area needs to be completely dry?

As an alternative to Acrypol, someone has suggested fibreglass. But a neighbour has said that, like Acrypol, the area needs to be completely dry?
Acrpol does stick in wet conditions,this is one of the reasons its so expensive as it sticks to anything and lasts(google it,check it out),Acrypol or remove imo,if you got the cash remove if not then acrypol it.Fibre glass is not good on concrete.

But the guttering is stone not concrete. No chance of removing it. It's an architectural feature of a row of old stone cottages.

Last one i did a bit like this i went OTT,i done the clean out bit wire brush treatment etc.Then i used the acrypol let it dry and lined the gutter in code 5 lead.Lead in about 1.5mtrs sections overlap 6" give the lap a good wire brush on both bits of lead.
Then squeeze in the lead sealant and dress lead back down,clean off surplus.

Little tip using Acrypol, give yer arms and hands a good rub of hand cream before you start the job,acts like a barrier cream.

Acrpol does stick in wet conditions,this is one of the reasons its so expensive as it sticks to anything and lasts(google it,check it out),Acrypol or remove imo,if you got the cash remove if not then acrypol it.Fibre glass is not good on concrete.

Ive tried the Acrypol on damp and wet and I'll tell e, it dont like it! I see all these tins of stuff about with blokes painting it on in a rain shower.Its no good,its gotta be dry and I'll tell e why.
The surface wants to be clean of any crap,lichen greasy stuff,the wets going to be covering all that sort of thing up.
All you end up doing is coating the dirty surface,yeah it looks good at the time but it will just peel back very soon.

Ive tried the Acrypol on damp and wet and I'll tell e, it dont like it! I see all these tins of stuff about with blokes painting it on in a rain shower.Its no good,its gotta be dry and I'll tell e why.
The surface wants to be clean of any crap,lichen greasy stuff,the wets going to be covering all that sort of thing up.
All you end up doing is coating the dirty surface,yeah it looks good at the time but it will just peel back very soon.
Having not used it in the wet ill have to take e word for it ;) .Anytime i use it i dry with towel and torch and its one of the very few repair compunds that actually works.Im just saying what it says on the tin.

This is a case of Swings and roundabouts.Acripol is bodging,and would not allow internal damage insurance claims should a surveyor see the acripol,that is if you had Ad cover.in place for internal damage,with no external policy peril.Felt only lasts 10yrs should it be done correctly(but you may get 10=20yrs) in 3 layer built up felt.fibreglass is not really suitable on top of the stone.A lead gutter needs to allow for thermal expansion and having a continuous length of lead would probably mean the lead will crack depending on how exposed it is.The problem of getting a seal over the external edge is also a problem on the stone.I would probably go for a felt gutter(cost effective)-ashphalt would be better,with a finish of solaflex as the sun causes damage to bitumised black surfaces.(TonyB.SurveyorMCIOB.MIOR)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back