Stone hearth in cellar broke off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the stone slab that was under the fireplace in the living room above broke off.

It was resting on a gas pipe which has been disconnected and moved out of the way. Once the slab was removed there was no shifting and the fireplace above remained solid but I do not want to leave it as is.

The bricks on the right side protrude about 55cm and the left 38cm.

What are my best options to repair this?

1) Builder suggested laying breeze blocks flat and build an extra layer of blocks all the way to the top and not put the slab back as its cracked.

2) Cement the broken slab back and then support it with a layer of engineering bricks.

3) Cement the broken slab back and then place a concrete lintel that runs the length of the fireplace supporting both stone slabs.

dyMDS2.md.jpg

dyMm9S.md.jpg

dyMpA7.md.jpg

dyMtcl.md.jpg

dyMyN9.md.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think I'd jack it up, insert a steel or concrete beam, let the stone settle onto a soft bed of mortar.

I think I'd jack it up, insert a steel or concrete beam, let the stone settle onto a soft bed of mortar.

You mean put the broken stone slab back and then place a concrete lintel under that.

The lintel - can it rest on engineering brick or breeze block?

Lintel first, then slab.

Easier to lower down than to push up.

The slab will be resting on the lintel. I don't see a need for brick or blocks. I suppose you could form a new base of paving slabs on the lintel, and lower your stone slab onto a bed of mortar on that.

Sponsored Links
Lintel first, then slab.

Easier to lower down than to push up.

The slab will be resting on the lintel. I don't see a need for brick or blocks. I suppose you could form a new base of paving slabs on the lintel, and lower your stone slab onto a bed of mortar on that.

But what would the lintel be resting on?

The brickwork at the sides (unless you wanted to bolt in steel brackets)

dyWRLu.md.jpg

If you see this image - the brickwork at the sides is not at the same protrusion.

dyMyN9.md.jpg

Yes, I think take out a brick or two at the sides for the lintel. Probably also bolt something to the back wall, a piece of steel angle or channel (painted against rust)

I don't think it will matter that the lintel will be on a slant.

I wonder why they built it like that?

If there is a chimney breast above I'm surprised it's not in 9" brickwork.

The brickwork at the sides (unless you wanted to bolt in steel brackets)

The bricks are 10cm wide - I thought that you need 15cm on either end of the lintel for support?

'Mmmm, but this is not a structural lintel holding the house up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back