Stone lintels - any issues with this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering knocking through the wall between my kitchen and utility room in order to make a bigger kitchen, with a universal beam/RSJ to support the opening.

To make things a little unusual, the kitchen is part of the original house built in 1900 and the utility room is part of an extension added in the 1930's. So the wall I want to knock through was originally an external wall. I have put a picture below showing the extension ('dairy') and the kitchen ('scullery') - the wall I want to knock through is between the 'scullery' and the 'lobby'.

My slight concern is with the two adjacent doorways in the lobby. As can be seen in the photo below, there are two large Bath Stone lintels which coincide with each other (the red lines are just for illustration, I don't actually know how they join). This means one lintel sits on top of the other, and one (or both) must have had a section cut out to allow them to join. I assume cutting into lintels is not something that would normally be suggested. I have shown on the photo where I would want to put the new beam.

So my question is - would there be any issues with installing the beam as shown, particularly in relation to how the two lintels are arranged? As the beam will have to rest on the left hand lintel. Or any recommendations to change the lintels for something else? I'm guessing that depending on how the lintels have been cut, I might have no choice but to change the lintel anyway.

Appreciate any thoughts!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back