Stop beads and bonding internal brick work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A couple of questions. Firstly the wall in my dinning room (extension) had blown in a large area revealing some render (scratch coat I think) and some of the brick work on a corner. Now.... Am I right in thinking I could bond this out and put new beeding up at the corner before skimming? I'm just worried about the brick work.

My second question is that does anyone know if you can use a stop bead to plaster up to coving and alctrave that's already in place? It would make my life easier.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Alastair's right,, you don't need to use a stop bead in your situation. Just plaster to the underside of the coving, and to the edge of the architrave. You would just need to
feather away the plaster, so as to keep as much of the coving/architrave edges showing as possible. You could remove the architraves "carefuly" first and then plaster, but that's a lot of hassle.
The damaged plaster on the corner of the brick wall will need to be cut back on each side of the corner by 4 or 5 inches, and a "thick coat" corner bead fiitted, then replastered.
Are you doing this job yourself or getting a plasterer in?

I'm doing the plastering myself. I done a weeks course last month and started doing work on the house the other week. Had some good results and finishes.
Thanks for the help fellas. I'll probably be back on here later in the week when I tackle behind the radiator and pipes.

I’m a DIY plasterer as well and I always find getting the edgings right a tricky thing to do, especially when you’re plastering up to something such as coving or a skirting board.

First things first, make sure you have corner trowels to give a nice sharp edge (you get two trowels – one for internal edges and one for external edges). You’ll use an internal corner trowel for giving a clean edge against the coving.

Also before skimming I apply masking tape to the coving/skirting/etc with about a 4mm gap to the existing surface, as this helps to give me a depth gauge for the skim, and I then remove it after the final smooth over (while the plaster is still wet) so I’m left with a nice clean edge. Probably not something a pro would do, but I find it helps me.

Best of luck.

A very useful post there Andy2. ;) That's one thing about plastering, be it DIYer, or a pro, everyone puts their own little twist on it. If it helps to do the job, that's all that matters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back