stop cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please could some one help
every time my dad goes on holiday he turns of the stop cock under the sink i ask him why he says if there is a burst pipe the water wouldnt come in from the mains is this right as im not sure
many tks for your replys

Sponsored Links
He is right - and probably in a minority of people sensible enought to do that - Thousands know absolutely nothing about their household services :idea:

Of course to be ultra-cautious he could go one step further:

As well as stopping any new water entering the property (via the stop-cock) he could drain down the attic tank(s) and all pipes so there is no water in the property.

This is what is done when house are repossesed by the bank and left empty till sold.

But it's a bit over-the-top!

A wise precaution when leaving a property for any length of time.
it also keeps the stop cock in use.

I go to loads of houses where the stop cock is useless.

First thing that needs doing is replace the stop cock.

Think of the damage caused while trying to switch off the water
if the stop cock isn't working.

Sponsored Links
My Dad used to do that, plus leave the loft hatch open a bit with the landing light on - claimed the heat will keep the pipes from freezing. Ironic, as the rest of the house was freezing when they returned as a result

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back