Stopcock nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Redoing the kitchen and plasterwork at the moment and have just removed some cabinet carcasses. I've always wondered where the stopcock was and I found it behind some units. Boxed in by previous owners and completely inaccessible.
However, the nightmare is that it seems to be leaking. Not a lot, but there's a damp patch around the bottom of the pipe about 8" in diameter. From what I can see it's seeping along the thread around the gland where the valve spindle goes into the body. It's drying as fast as it's leaking as there's no sign of water damage but it's not a good situation.
The incomer is original cast iron or steel by the looks of it and the stopcock too. It is not in bad nick but I can't budge it and am scared to give it laldy for breaking the pipe because then I think I am uber-screwed with a broken main pipe just above a concrete floor and looking at a whole new mains pipe. And a 2 month delay to refitting the kitchen!
I can easily fit a new stop valve further down the pipe but what are my chances of sorting this leak without removing the stop valve? I just know that will go wrong and I'll be stuck until I get a new main.
Can I grab the valve body with a grip and try to get a 1/4 turn on the spindle thread? Can I remove the spindle without water ****ing out and repack it?
Really appreciate any advice while I research the problem or try to find a plumber!
Thanks
Jock

Sponsored Links
Is there not an outside water meter on path way where you can turn it off then you can play with it all you want.

Yes, If it's a gland nut around the shaft then shut the tap off, loosen the gland nut and wrap a few turns of PTFE tap around the shaft and then tighten the gland nut back down again. It will only ever be a temporary fix though and it will eventually leak again as it gets used and the tape wears back down.

Is there not an outside water meter on path way where you can turn it off then you can play with it all you want.
Yes there is a main stop valve in the garden. That’s not what worries me, its damaging the pipe as I try to remove the valve and getting stuck. Those nuts ain’t been moved since Moses.

Sponsored Links
Yes, If it's a gland nut around the shaft then shut the tap off, loosen the gland nut and wrap a few turns of PTFE tap around the shaft and then tighten the gland nut back down again. It will only ever be a temporary fix though and it will eventually leak again as it gets used and the tape wears back down.

Thanks for this. Do I need to shut the valve off? As I say the problem is I cant shift it. Don’t want to out a breaker bar on it as I could damage the pipe, you know how cast iron pipes can fracture.
If I backed off the spindle nut without shutting the valve will it leak out?
If I could repair it that way I think it would be fine as I’ll fit another stop balve in a more accessible place, so shouldn’t need to move it in the future.
Thanks

Tighten up the gland nut and it should stop leaking.
It helps if you spray WD40 on it.
If it stops leaking, simply leave that stopcock alone and fit a new one in whatever place you fancy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back