Stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Have recently moved into our lovely big victorian house but as you may see on other forum topics it has a few problems as most victorian houses do!! I am about to fit a mixer shower which I have done before and have no issue with but there is an issue with the stopcock, I have looked through the survey and found that it is located in a panel in the downstairs toilet wall, I have tried to attach a photo but cant figure it out, have added it to albums though so you should be able to see it and am assuming it is the big square drive tap, I need to turn it off to fit the shower taps and have tried a good set of grips on there after a few days of wd40 and it doesnt want to turn, obviously I dont want to force it so am wondering what the next step is, I need to know if this is defo the stopcock and what to do next, Dont want any flooding accidents!! thanks.

Sponsored Links
Undo the gland nut, then try a pair of mole grips on the spindle, but be gentle. I done one today and it worked ok.

Once it is opening and closing then refit the gland nut, you may have to put a few turns of PTFE tap as a new packing gland.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Ok I have decided to turn off the supply in the street, it is a single supply to my house only so wont be turning off the neighbours water!!, It has a fairly new looking meter and a white plastic tap about 12 inches down with a cut out in the middle of it, What can I use to turn it off, I begrudge paying £20 for a universal key!! Any ideas?

Is this a white plastic hex plug with a slot in the middle?

Mine was like that with a key inside but then Thames Water seem to have removed all the keys from the street !

I have made something to fit.

LOL thanks, if I didnt have a slight phobia with massive spiders then I would willingly put my hand in there!!! it is like a small white plastic tap with a v shape groove in the centre!!, Might try some long nose pliers, Just wondering if anyone had made something and what they made it out of??

If that internal stop tap is knackered, sometimes better to replace, or if difficult, put a new one above and leave old one in situ. Obviously you need the water off outside first.

Sometimes external stop taps have the handles missing. Maybe a neighbour's has a handle inside that you can borrow. Or ask them what they use to turn it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back