Stoptap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my daughter has got a leak on the interior stop tap. She contacted the insurance company and they sent a plumber. The plumber repaired the part, however, there is still a small leak and he said he would need to turn off the outside stop tap and make a soldered joint, but wouldn’t be able to do the Job because the outside stop tap would not fully turn off. She contacted Thames water and they said they won’t come out. Why couldn’t the plumber turn it off and can you get a tool to turn off the water?
I hope you can understand this message.
Any help is appreciated Dave

Sponsored Links
Hello Dave, depending on the water undertaker (Thames water in your case), you sometimes have to obtain permission as it does belong to them. Any photos of said installation so maybe we can think of a different way? Is the soldered joint before or after the stoptap?

Does the outside stopcock still allow water to pass when it is actually turned off ,is that the issue ? If so, it's faulty, and it's the water suppliers responsibility to replace it.

Thank you for your replies.
I’ve only had a message from my daughter and I believe the the pipe coming out of the stop tap is leaking on a joint and needs soldering and the outside stop tap won’t fully turn off. The insurance company have told her to find a plumber who can freeze the pipe and do the job. She has since told me that a neighbour has also had a similar problem. I can’t understand why Thames Water wont come.
I’d like to thank you both for your help.
Regards Dave

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Yeah, I was going to suggest freezing, but not always possible. If the pipe coming out of the stoptap needs attention, then turning off outside isn’t required, unless it’s a soldered stoptap that needs doing?

Has it been made clear to the water company ,that their stopcock is faulty and when closed ,still allows water to pass ? I doubt they would refuse to deal with that ,maybe they think you just want them to turn off a stopcock ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back