Storage Combi Boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there
Need to get a new boiler.
I live in a 3 bed flat shower top floor, bathroom lower floor.
And we've got an old Glowworm Xtramax storage combi, says that the flow rate is 11 l/min.
The shower up top is a little weak as is, so I just want to make sure any new boiler will do the trick.
If I get a simple combi like a 32cdi with flow rate of 11 l / min or greater .... am I sorted ?

Would hate to find that the shower fails after installation of the boiler !!!
Thanks for any help.

Downstairs shower is powerful.
Upstairs shower is weak and was installed with two shower heads side by side, previous owner was Dr Nookie !!!
Anyway, running both showers simultaneousy or a shower and kitchen tap, the reduced flow can be felt but only a little. That's the current.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Check dynamic flow rates and pressure before doing anything else

I ended up getting a Combi and the showers are far less powerful than the old Storage Combi, so it's all been a bit crap.
The DHW 35C rise values given in the technical specification are utterly meaningless and have zero bearing on what you will experience at the taps.
The only useful figure is ... the "flow limiter" or "flow restrictor" value that you might be able to find buried in the manual, this is what the manufacturer actually thinks the boiler will produce.
In my case retrospectively the flow limiter on the Storage Combi was about 18 l/min and on the new Comb is only 10 l /min. Which means that I have been totally shafted.
The DHW 35C values are almost identical, in fact higher for the new Combi ... but like I said they mean absolutely nothing whatsoever.

The DHW35C values are used by plumbers when they give you an estimate for new boilers, by the manufacturers, and by vendors who sell boilers ... which just goes to show that most of the people on the planet are your enemy.

Sponsored Links
And so the ranting continues...this was all done to death on the original posting...and a solution was given but you refuse to accept it.

This is information for people who are in the same situation. It's not for you, stop following me around.

I went to extraordinary lengths to explain the position you find yourself in and proposed a solution.
Perhaps you might show a little more appreciation rather than slag me off :rolleyes:
I guess the explanations are beyond your intelligence....

I went to extraordinary lengths to explain the position you find yourself in and proposed a solution.
Perhaps you might show a little more appreciation rather than slag me off :rolleyes:
I guess the explanations are beyond your intelligence....

I thanked you for the calculations but as I stated a quick play around with the settings clearly indicated there was nothing more available from the boiler.

In this thread I have detailed the problem with using other measures to predict your shower performance with a new boiler, and offered some options for those in the same situation as me so they understand in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back