Storage Combi / Multi etc vs separate boiler and cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’d appreciate some advice please. I’m modernising a detached Victorian house which will have three bathrooms and about 24 radiators when I’m finished. The house is brick-constructed (solid walls) and single-glazed; set against that it has a very well-insulated loft. I need to replace the existing gas boiler which is more than 25 years old, underpowered and inefficient, and the too-small hot water cylinder. I plan to replace some but not all of the radiators. As well as delivering the central heating, the new system has to be able to cope with two baths or three showers concurrently.

After a bit of research and advice, I had planned to install a separate boiler and unvented cylinder – the mains water pressure is about 25l per minute. I’d been advised that a combination of Worcester Greenstar 40CDI and a Megaflow CL300HE300 would do the job, although I hadn’t gone nap on these models. I then met someone who works for Viessmann, who told me that what I need is a Vitodens 333. Well they would wouldn’t they ! But when pressed they said that in this case they would recommend the Vitodens 333 over a pairing of their system boiler and unvented cylinder options. The Vitodens 333 does seem to be an impressive bit of kit - not just taking us more space, but being very efficient and quiet. On doing some more research, however, I quickly came across the Atmos Multi and ACV Heatmaster ranges. All three – Vitodens 333, Multi and Heatmaster – are favourably commented on on this website.

My questions are:
- Is it likely, accepting I’ve given you only a sketchy description of the house and requirements, that one of these three would do the job for me, or are they all non-starters ?
- If so, would you recommend a particular range or model over the other two (and if so, why) ?
- One disadvantage of the Vitodens 333, to my mind at least, is that it does not have an immersion. I’m not sure if the Multi or Heatmaster offer some integral form of backup that would enable water heating if the boiler failed. Assuming they don’t, what options do I have ?
- Are there any other disadvantages of these systems over the separate boiler and cylinder option I was planning to install ?

Thanks.

NigelF

Sponsored Links
None of those three are cheap.
I think the Atmos multi is around £2300.
I have a simple oil boiler and cylinder. It never gives any trouble and would never swap for any of those three you outlined above even if they were installed for free in my home.
No sirreee. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back