Storage Heater Timers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
When I mentioned a 'long-term load that large', I was talking about a load which drew high currents (i.e. a substantial proportion of the 13A/3kW maximum for a 13A plug/socket) for fairly long continuous periods of time (hours, rather than minutes) - as opposed to, say, electric kettles etc. In that situation, although it shouldn't really happen, one can sometimes end up with heat damage to the plug and/or socket - particularly if the plug is rarely (if ever) unplugged (the 'wiping action' of unplugging/re-plugging tends to remove tarnish on the contacts which can build up over time).

Kind Regards, John

What if i were to fit a 1.7kwh heater on a plug in timer, does the same principle apply or not? Where is the threshold of plug in timer use?

What if i were to fit a 1.7kwh heater on a plug in timer, does the same principle apply or not?
Theoretically, yes. The concern about things 'switching themselves on' potentially when no-one is around applies to anything which produces enough heat to possibly result in a fire if something was left 'covering it', or even fell onto it.

Kind Regards, John

Doesn't that apply to every night store heater in the land though?

Except to say it's an outhouse which suggests three things - firstly possible storage of stuff, more than your average living room/hallway. Secondly less often accessed, less so than your average living room/hallway. Third thing is accumulation of dirt, dust, leaves, cobwebs, insects and nesting materials

Nozzle

Except to say it's an outhouse which suggests three things - firstly possible storage of stuff, more than your average living room/hallway. Secondly less often accessed, less so than your average living room/hallway. Third thing is accumulation of dirt, dust, leaves, cobwebs, insects and nesting materials

Nozzle

Right, i see.
Fear not, my outbuilding is a fully functional office used 7 days a week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back