Storage Heater Timers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
How do you monitor that your outbuilding heater doesn't get covered and then burns down shortly after your timer energises?

Nozzle

Probably the same way everyone else with storage heaters does, that timer should be ok, I have seen them used on plenty of storage heaters for years

Sponsored Links
Probably the same way everyone else with storage heaters does, that timer should be ok, I have seen them used on plenty of storage heaters for years

Thank you, a lot easiler and cheap than TLC's solution.

Thank you, a lot easiler and cheap than TLC's solution.
I would say that it's not really desirable to have a storage heater (or any other long-term load that large) supplied via a plug/socket, so I would be inclined to use the wire-in version (similar price) of the plug-in timer you are proposing to use.

Kind Regards, John

I would say that it's not really desirable to have a storage heater (or any other long-term load that large) supplied via a plug/socket, so I would be inclined to use the wire-in version (similar price) of the plug-in timer you are proposing to use.

Kind Regards, John

Could you link me please?

is the building well insulated ??
if not a storage radiator will be useless as the heat loss will be greater than the output when you need it most

Kind Regards, John

Thanks foe the link, John. Can i ask why is it not desirable long term?

Thanks foe the link, John. Can i ask why is it not desirable long term?
When I mentioned a 'long-term load that large', I was talking about a load which drew high currents (i.e. a substantial proportion of the 13A/3kW maximum for a 13A plug/socket) for fairly long continuous periods of time (hours, rather than minutes) - as opposed to, say, electric kettles etc. In that situation, although it shouldn't really happen, one can sometimes end up with heat damage to the plug and/or socket - particularly if the plug is rarely (if ever) unplugged (the 'wiping action' of unplugging/re-plugging tends to remove tarnish on the contacts which can build up over time).

Kind Regards, John

When I mentioned a 'long-term load that large', I was talking about a load which drew high currents (i.e. a substantial proportion of the 13A/3kW maximum for a 13A plug/socket) for fairly long continuous periods of time (hours, rather than minutes) - as opposed to, say, electric kettles etc. In that situation, although it shouldn't really happen, one can sometimes end up with heat damage to the plug and/or socket - particularly if the plug is rarely (if ever) unplugged (the 'wiping action' of unplugging/re-plugging tends to remove tarnish on the contacts which can build up over time).

Kind Regards, John

Right, thanks very much.

Kind Regards, John
I agree with John, I would hard wire the heater & timer, but as I said I have known this set up work for years, also got to monitor the timer setting as they can drift a bit over time

It is 'only' a 2.55kW heater.

I agree, though, that using a plug and plug-in timer is not the best solution, not least, because the timer will be down near the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back