Storage Heater Upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just got my house back from the estate agents after years of them renting it out, and I'm now renting it directly.

Short version
House only has an electric connection (no gas option at all)
Currently has 2 30+ year old storage heaters
3rd heater is missing!! (Don't ask)

I asked my electrician to have a look as I had a chance to get 4 Dimplex Quantums quite cheap. He said he's really going to struggle to install them as they require 2 connections. 1 on the economy 7 (no problem that wiring is already in place), and 1 with a constant live feed.

So I need a new live feed put in by each storage heater, which apparently can't be a spur from the existing ring main, is that right?

So my questions.
1. Any suggestion on how to upgrade the heaters, ie. how do I get a new constant live connection next to each storage heater?

2. My tenants are a young, low income couple with a child. Do they qualify under the Affordable Warmth scheme and would this cover the potential re-wire and consumer unit upgrade as well?

3. Any other clever ideas on how to upgrade the heating in the house without spending an absolute fortune?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
I have no issue with the constant live supply being fed from the ring circuit.

I suspect the manufacturers instructions tell you not to do this.

But the constant feed is just for a 'back up' heater which should be under 3kW, and the clock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back