Storage heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help.

I've been asked to look at a storage heater that isn't working. The house has several and all the other work fine - so it's safe to say the supply to the consumer unit is ok. Have checked continuity of live, neutral and earth from the consumer unit to the input terminals on the heater and that's ok.

With the cover off, I've found that there is continuity from the live input terminal of the heater to a terminal on some sort of rotary switch marked "Input". This rotary switch has two terminals and despite turning the switch round and back several times, there is no continuity between these two terminals.

I'm guessing that's my problem. Am I right? And if I am, what is this switch called so I can start hunting for one.

In case it helps, the heater is a "Heatstore HSX18N".

Would appreciate any help.

Cheers, Mark.

Sponsored Links
Is there a push button on it? It sounds like a thermal trip, might just want reset.

I didn't spot one.. but didn't know to look for one. Might have been staring me in the face!

Shouldn't I have got some sort of reading on that rotary switch though?

Sponsored Links
DSC00365.jpg

Best I've got I'm afraid Spark. Any use?

Some SH's have a thermal link.

If these melt (often when heater is covered with clothing), then you need to replace the link (bit like a fusewire).

Looking at the amount of fluff and dust on that switch assembly it may be as simple as something has got between the contact pads and preventing them closing.

I'll start by giving them a clean up - so should I be getting a resistance reading between those two terminals?

If it is closed and is meant to be closed then I'd expect approximately 0 ohms across a switch.

Heatstore is a City Electrical Factors in house brand. They have been known to be rebadged Dimplex etc. Dimplex almost certainly do, but I thought all SH had to have the thermal link. UK Spares, in Bristol I believe, is another company that might help in that case, although they may be trade only

Get in touch with CEF who can put you in touch with Heatstore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back