Storing a profile shape

R

RedHerring2

I'm just starting on the repair of my Toyota Supra rear wings.

I'm looking for a tool that I can use to store the shape of the wings in varying places.

I could do with something that is cheap as chips 'cos I could do with a few of 'em.

I can remember something like a stick of solder but covered in plastic a long time ago that could be bent into the shape required, but I'm having trouble finding something like it.

Anyone any ideas?

The trouble with putting words like 'profile' or 'profiling' or even 'shapes' into google throws up some wierd results.

Sponsored Links
What you are looking for is a 'Flexible Curve' that takes me right back to the days when I taught Technical Drawing!
A lead bar, covered in plastic that used to crack if you bent it too far...!
Still available from graphics shops. (Posh name for drawing, graphics) :p
John :)

Excellent, John, thanks.
I've just ordered four from Amazon.

Use one 'Flexicurve' and trace the shapes onto a series of templates (pieces of thin ply or hardboard, or maybe even panels cut from a cardboard box etc.).
Cut each template along the line, and apply it to the bodywork for any final fettling. Mark vertical and horizontal datum lines on each template, along with exactly where it fits on the car before storing them away.

Sponsored Links
More excellent advice, thanks TicklyT. It sounds like you know what we're up against. I was quoted £150 for a used outer cill. :eek: Rear wings and outer cills are just not available.
I can get cills folded locally for about £25 if I supply the metal and they're reasonably simple shapes.

I was going to use several flexible curves in both dimensions but the transfer to cardboard templates does save on the cost of the flexible curves.

We'll be using cardboard templates for marking up the steel anyway, for welding. The body curves proper will be in the finishing stages.
Most of it is covered by plastic skirts etc.

Thanks Avocet, but they're quite a bit more expensive.
Eg, contour gauge - £10 for 150mm long, whereas flexible curve about £5 for 300 or 400mm long.

Back