Stove Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just opened up a fireplace in the bedroom, and overall it is in good condition. It measures just 18'' wide so I plan to get a HETAS person to come and fit a STOVAX STOCKTON 3, as the blurb says it is suitable for as small as 16'' openings. This will take place when I have sorted the cosmetics out. I have rebuilt the hearth, and want to tile the fireplace out. My question is, The fireplace side walls are 9'' thick, and I would like to build a plasterboard wall on wooden frame so that it will fit flush to the fireplace side wall, but never coming forward of the fireplace front at any stage, is this possible/allowed? It would mean that the wood batton holding the plasterboard is 9'' away from the inner face of the fireplace wall to which it will be screwed.

Sponsored Links
If it is anything like gas you are not allowed to have open flued applicances in bedrooms.

It will be installed with a solid fuel flue liner by a hetas engineer as and when I can afford.

Sponsored Links
If it is anything like gas you are not allowed to have open flued applicances in bedrooms.

Sorry, DCD, you are completely wrong! Gas fires ARE allowed in "designated sleeping areas" but must have an atmospheric sensing device. I am not sur about solid fuel, but I think they are legal

thank god for that, considering my fireplace is opened and plaster off the wall.

Sorry, DCD, you are completely wrong! Gas fires ARE allowed in "designated sleeping areas" but must have an atmospheric sensing device. I am not sur about solid fuel, but I think they are legal

The law on GAS fires in bedrooms is here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/2451/contents/made
Room-sealed appliances

"30.—...
(2) No person shall install a gas fire, ... of more than 14 kilowatt gross heat input in a room used or intended to be used as sleeping accommodation unless the appliance is a room-sealed appliance.

(3) No person shall install a gas fire, ... of 14 kilowatt gross heat input or less in a room used or intended to be used as sleeping accommodation ... unless
(a)it is a room-sealed appliance; or
(b)it incorporates a safety control designed to shut down the appliance before there is a build up of a dangerous quantity of the products of combustion in the room concerned."

But that i for gas. AT the least I would definitely want a carbon monoxide alarm in the room if there was any combustion of any fuel.
And do not forget annual servicing.[/i]

There is no reason why a solid fuel stove can't be fitted in a sleeping area as long as all ventilation and clearance requirements are met.... Carbon Monoxide alarms are mandatory. I can't comment on the plasterboard and timber thing because I can't figure out from the OPs description what he wishes to do but Plasterboard is not deemed (Neither is the pink "Fire rated" plasterboard) as fire resistant and will soon fall apart... Timber is definately not fire reistant... Your HETAS installer can advise.

The law on GAS fires in bedrooms is here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/2451/contents/made
Room-sealed appliances

"30.—...
(2) No person shall install a gas fire, ... of more than 14 kilowatt gross heat input in a room used or intended to be used as sleeping accommodation unless the appliance is a room-sealed appliance.

(3) No person shall install a gas fire, ... of 14 kilowatt gross heat input or less in a room used or intended to be used as sleeping accommodation ... unless
(b)it incorporates a safety control designed to shut down the appliance before there is a build up of a dangerous quantity of the products of combustion in the room concerned."

But that i for gas. AT the least I would definitely want a carbon monoxide alarm in the room if there was any combustion of any fuel.

Yes I know.
Bet the stove has no safety device. But wouldn't want
anything like that in my bedroom.

I would like to build a plasterboard wall on wooden frame so that it will fit flush to the fireplace side wall, but never coming forward of the fireplace front at any stage, is this possible/allowed? It would mean that the wood batton holding the plasterboard is 9'' away from the inner face of the fireplace wall to which it will be screwed.

Provided installation clearances are met then this will be fine, but bear in mind that plasterboard (even fire rated plasterboard) is not considered to be sufficiently fire resistant for solid fuel. Nor is thermalite block, as it happens.

You also need to be sure the existing hearth is up to modern standards.

Room-sealed appliances

"30.—...

Yes I know.
Bet the stove has no safety device. But wouldn't want
anything like that in my bedroom.

Dc, what do you mean "you know"? You unequivically stated that gas fires are not allowed in bedrooms. I, on the other hand, pointed out otherwise, but acknowledged that I did not know the answer for solid fuel.

Tara, it is now a requirement for new solid fuel installations to have a CO alarm.

the required distance for combustibles from the stove i want is 30cm for the sides of the stove. the stove will fit snuggly into the fireplace, and to each side of the stove is the fireplace wall which is 9'' thick. It is to this wall i hope to be able to attatch a wooden batton to on the 9'' fireplace wall with the stove on the opposite side of this 9'' fireplace wall. Ie, does the wall act as a barrier? The stove manual says the stove can go 0-50mm from a wall as long as it is 200mm thick, which this one is. How do you post pictures and i will try to show you all?

RIGHT, i have had a good read of Document J of the building regs regarding fireplaces and stoves etc. There is a diagram on Page 35, Diagram 21, showing the distances through a fireplace wall that is 20cm thick, (mine is 22cm thick). The stud/batton is a combustible material as is the plasterboard i want to fix to it. The diagram shows that this is ok, as long as the metal screw fixing it into place does not come within 5cm of the inside of the 20cm fireplace wall. That is how i read it, i wonder if anyone would be so kind as to confirm it as i have read it? Thanks for everyones help and input so far by the way.
www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADJ_2010.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back