Fireplace Ash pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I removed an electric fire, wooden hearth and surround, and behind it was the original open fireplace. The ash pan was filled with dirt and the surrounding area was just loose sand, the pan isn't vented at all.

I'm intending to put plasterboard over the original fireplace, but am wondering what to do with the below floor level ash pan area.

The damp proof membrane ends each side of the grate, and is at the concrete level.

Thanks.
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 2.jpg
Picture 3.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it no longer needed and will never be needed ever again then I'd look to fill it with a loose concrete slurry, then a piece of DPM and then top it off.

Thanks. I'm not familiar with loose concrete slurry, what's the mix please? Would you fill the entire ash pan with the same? I have some ballast I could mix up for the pan section, or is this unsuitable?

Sponsored Links
what's the mix please?

1 part cement to 6 parts ballast would be fine. You could fill the ash pan with some bricks/stone first, if it is deep, but the ballast mix will do as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back