Straighten the studwork or???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

I am fitting a new L shaped kitchen shortly and I have noticed that the timber studwall (50x100) tapers - it is out by as much as 20mm. Now I'm not sure what to do. Do I:

1) take off the board on both sides and straighten the studwork (a lot of work as there is 4-5m of wall)

2) reboard over the top of the existing

3) something else???

I am confused as I haven't fitted a lot of plasterboard and never fitted a kitchen.

The wall is generally uneven all across its surface, so I'm anticipating a lot of trouble when I come to fit the work surfaces and units. I really don't know how to prepare the walls and need some advice.

Please help, thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Can it stay as it is?
Lots of work here, maybe involving tapered laths and a good plasterer.
Some call it 'character' :p
John :)

I'd leave it alone personally, you can just profile the back of the kitchen units to match the taper on the wall - it's no big deal.

I don't fancy the idea of profile the back of the units to that extent.

There's still the issue of the head high units which won't sit even remotely flush with the wall.

I've come up with a solution that involves fixing one batten at one end and another at the other and then running string line head and bottom and then fixing the middle battens in line with it. I will then board out and have an almost perfectly flat surface to fit the kitchen.

I don't think leaving it as is good advice at all, as its a fix point which is not just uneven its lumpy and bumpy from the plaster

You neglected to state which side the cup'ds are mounted, either way it just a thin baton to top or bottom of upper cup'd to line everything up, the base are unaffected as worktop covers them.

Battening the units fine thanks I'll use that idea when it comes to fitting the units but still don't regret spending the half day involved in battening out with a string line to smooth everything out. I also have tiling to do keep in mind. Now wall is flat I notice not only did the wall taper but it tapered and receded so onto next job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back