Strange battery issue

although a bit late for my reply, but 4.5 years is about average time the batteries last, each battery can perform differently as it depends on number of charge and discharge cycling and so if your wife's car is only used for smaller shopping trips and collecting school children, then she is performing far too many start stop cycles, as opposed to your v6 battery that is large (heavy duty) to begin with and probably has less starts per day.

It is not uncommon for a new battery to last just 3 years before it looses its capacity to store charge, even if the terminal voltage indicates a healthy battery, it is the storage capacity that suffers.

Sponsored Links
4.5 years is about average time the batteries last
For factory-fitted Yuasa batteries in Toyotas, DP and I each got about 9 years.

Yuasa's are good batteries (sealed lead acid) and widely used in Fire alarm industry, we still had to replace them every 5 years irrespective of their health! I used to get a lot of good old batteries that still had plenty of life in them and often used these on my cars and they would last another good two or 3 years!

(The average life of a typical low cost car battery (under 50 quid and around 55Ah is about 3 years, they start to loose capacity more than anything else)

The Go battery used on my Vauxhall lasted me 6 years, a replacement go battery has now gone past 4 years so far so good, expecting it to last another two before replacing, I paid 60 odd for that.

I have a 2001 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Auto. The battery is still the original, and although on a very cold morning cranking speed is lower than usual, it still starts OK. BTW there's only just over 63K on the clock!

Sponsored Links
I guess most modern cars don't require awefull lot of cranking, they start within half to one crank and thereby prolonging the battery life unlike the carb'd cars that would require far too many cranks to start, and battery technology has moved on, still when you buy a brand new battery most only offer 1 yr warranty. You may get 2 or 3 yr warranty on expensive batteries, but in a way you have already paid for the extended warranty in that price!

im still on the original battery on my Focus 2001 with 130000 on the clock. Gets regular battery maintenance and good long runs. If its a maintainable battery, the key is to maintain it and check the fluids, and clean the terminals at least twice a year.

Happened again this morning. Fine on Friday, not used over the weekend. Then doesn't start this morning. Jump start it and it is fine.

I have check all the leads for breaks and corrosion, all seem fine. Earth straps are all securely attached. Going to get a new battery I think, might see if I can get a heavy duty item.

Is that 7 low-speed miles with blower, headlamps and HRW all going?

Yes, but it is driven the same way every day, it will be fine for months then suddenly just wont start. I guess when the temp drops it makes matter worse.

Do you think its worth popping a charger on every other weekend to top the battery up? I keep telling the wife to take it for longer runs.

winter.

= more heater, more lamps, more HRW = heavier load = battery discharge = flat battery.

you could put the charger on it once a week, or swap cars.

Sponsored Links
Back