Strange Ch and HW setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Girlfriends house has a puzzling (cr#p) heating installation!

CH - 11 rads, no room stat. Only two of the rads have thermostatic valves (in two of the bedrooms). This seems to be a rubbish way to try and regulate the house temperature (well, you can't really). There is also underfloor heating in the kitchen (works well).

HW - this is puzzling me! There is no hot water cylinder so I expect therefore there to be hot water on demand (turn a hot tap and the water flow fires up the boiler). I thought those were the two types of HW setup. But this one doesnlt have either. Everytime you want hot water you have to go and turn the boiler on (I mean press the HW/CH override on the timer). This can't be right can it?

All in all I think it is very poor setup. I think I will fit a wireless room stat to help heating regulation, but the hot water thing has me stumped. Any ideas?

Bolier is a Worcester Bosch Hiflow 400.

Sponsored Links
There is no hot water cylinder so I expect therefore there to be hot water on demand (turn a hot tap and the water flow fires up the boiler).
That is what should happen with your boiler! Part of the boiler is a small hot water store, so you don't have to wait so long.

Everytime you want hot water you have to go and turn the boiler on (I mean press the HW/CH override on the timer). This can't be right can it?
No, it's not right. In any case, there is no point having a timer for instant hot water.

You should set the HW to ON at the programmer, it's proably set to Once or Twice - maybe even to OFF. Turn the Lock screw to release; press the Select button until the arrow point to ON; turn Lock screw to Lock the setting.

So I wonder if the timer is the wrong thing here?

Yes it is set to twice. Not sure what you mean by turning the "lock screw", this is a digital timer.

You can only program it to have hot water on at certain times - but surely that is meant for having a hot water cylinder. Why would you have a HW program option at all if it was "on demand" hot water?

Sponsored Links
Yes it is set to twice. Not sure what you mean by turning the "lock screw", this is a digital timer.
Lock screw - I was assuming you had the built-in WB timer.

Which make/model timer do you have?

You can only program it to have hot water on at certain times - but surely that is meant for having a hot water cylinder. Why would you have a HW program option at all if it was "on demand" hot water?
Are you saying there is no permanent ON setting for the HW? I agree with your question about timing on demand HW. Could be a left-over from a previous boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back