Strange noise from 2011 VW polo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning Ive recently had a noise from my car that sounded like brakes catching on whilst I was driving along. I went to my local garage he suggested changing all pads and discs plus when checking he also found leaking shocks so I also had them changed.

Unfortunately I still have the sound so I'm assuming it's not the brakes. Does anyone have any ideas what else could make this kind of noise ?

Sponsored Links
It is like a scraping noise . I will check them backplates I got a stone lodged in there a few years back

Sponsored Links
I have had this problem on several Peugeot 406's and it was due to the brake backplates rusting between the two layers which pushed them apart and against the discs.

Peter

Hi again I eventually got back to the garage and they said it's either a driveshaft or a wheel bearing. Hopefully I find out tomorrow

Typically, wheel bearings drone when going around corners.......the noise comes and goes as the bearing loads up.
Driveshafts typically knock and clatter when on full steering lock.
Looking forward to hearing the outcome!
John :)

Hi again I eventually got back to the garage and they said it's either a driveshaft or a wheel bearing. Hopefully I find out tomorrow

Bearing noise is normally obvious, if the corner is jacked up, and the wheel spun round. Drive shaft noise (UJ), will be worse, making a tight left circle, versus a right hand one.

The mechanic said the wheel was harder to spin than the good side when jacked up

I think they are still investigating. They are keeping my car tonight. He said he's going to remove the drive shaft to check it

Sponsored Links
Back