Strange smell after bath and shower in brand new bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a new bathroom installed. All new suite but also all new tiles on floor and wall. All new ceiling. All new!

straight after the first shower there’s a strange smell. After every bath or shower it comes.

I don’t think it’s drains/sewer/toilet it’s not like that sort of smell.

It’s not silicon sealant that smell went after first day or two.

It’s not a damp or mildew smell, I don’t think there’s leaks.

The smell was there before we moved all our toiletries and things, so the room was empty when I had the first shower.

I’ve not smelled this smell before so it’s hard to explain. It’s sort of a mild bo smell.

we didn’t have it on the old bathroom.

it seems to come when the room fills up with steam from shower or bath.

I wonder if it’s the tiles or grout or something smelling after the warm moist air contacts it.

we have temporary paper blinds up until shutters are fitted but they don’t smell close up. There’s no one source if smell.

any one have any ideas?

thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No it’s not towels it’s not a damp towel smell and it’s like it when the room is empty of anything.

paint is Goodhome bathroom brilliant white

Never heard of Goodhome paint so can't comment on it, but although it sounds daft have you tried sniffing the walls? The previous paint problem at B&Q was worse as the room got warmer. Otherwise no other suggestion I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
Yeah body odour but it isn’t. I’ve just showered!

I noticed today the smell was there when the room heated up from the radiator. Not as bad though. So maybe it’s heat activated and not the moisture.

Yeah body odour but it isn’t. I’ve just showered!

I noticed today the smell was there when the room heated up from the radiator. Not as bad though. So maybe it’s heat activated and not the moisture.
Checked for leaks at U bends which allow smells back into room?

two or three weeks ago. cant see it being linked to the radiator. it happens when radiator is off but a shower or bath is in progress and afterwards. I think the more moist hot air, the stronger the smell. The smell is there a bit without moisture, and warm air.

Can’t see any leaks and yes got a soil vent. It’s not a toilet waste smell though.
If vent sticks you can get a stale smell back from pipe work , not always a toilet smell depending on how and where wastes enter pipe .

We had a problem in our ensuite once where the vacuum created by flushing the toilet sucked the water from the u-bend in the sink, allowing smells from the soil stack to go back up into the room.
It was caused by not properly venting the system, and fixed in the short term by running the taps when flushing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back