Strange soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of refitting the bathroom. After taking off the bath panel I saw the soil stack which had been boxed in but looks like its been cut off just below the bath.
Out of the top is another pipe which goes about 2 feet in a 45 angel and stops.
I'm assuming this was to vent the soil stack but I'm wondering how high this needs to be.

I thought soil stacks went to the roof.
Should I be worried about this?

Sponsored Links
Stack has been reduced to 40 or 50mm waste pipe and terminates in an AAV (Air Admittance Valve). The AAV needs to be above spillover level of highest appliance (probably basin in your case), perfectly acceptable installation, but normally requires a vented stack somewhere else on the drain, usually at the head of the drain run.

If it's worked ok so far then I wouldnt worry, main issue is AAV's sometimes stick open, usual giveaway is the pong in the room..... :oops:

Thanks for the reply.

I've been reading into this and was wondering if i can take this out a right angels to the stack and then go up in the corner of the room.
The main reason for this is that i wanted to level off flat with the bath.
I can then put a small box in the corner of the room into the loft and put a new AAV in there.

Is it ok to have the vent at right angels to the stack?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back