New soil stack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had my bathroom refitted. Previous pan was a tall one and rested on a toilet base riser. For some strange reason, the soil stack was much higher than conventional ones. Not sure if that has to do with the age of the house, built in the 1950s or that the previous owners had one fitted to suit their needs (newish brick around the soil stack).
Current problem is backflow of 'jobbies' which needs two flushing to clear the pan. Question, do I need a new soil stack or go for a hung toilet to resolve the problem. I'm really not keen to have a new soil stack as the bathroom tiles and all the pipe work is only two months old!

Sponsored Links
Often a problem when a new pan is fitted into an older house. Modern pans do have a lower outlet. Unlikely you'd need a new stack, a rejig of the branch into the bathroom might be adequate to get the soil pipe on the correct alignment.

Difficulty depends on material the stack is made from, and the layout to some degree. If you have (or can get) a few matching tiles to make good around where the soil pipe goes through the wall in the bathroom then i'd get pipe rejigged. A new wall hung pan seems overkill when you've just had new bathroom fitted and you may find it too high to use comfortably, especially if there are small children in the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back