Strange vibrating/banging noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for ideas on what this strange banging noise could be. The closest thing I can liken it to is a train on the tracks vibration/banging without an actual engine sound. You can't just hear it, you can feel it.

It happens every day regularaly at around 7am/7pm but not regularly enough to set your watch by. If for example I was to invite an engineer round to listen for it, it might happen at 8pm that day. It usually only lasts for around 6 seconds so very hard to pin down. Sometimes its quite loud, sometimes not so loud but you can hear it upstairs and downstairs on the back wall (where the chimeny breast is) It is always louder upstairs but ruled out the weather/tv areal as it happens too frequently. Theres also a capped off gas pipe at the bottom of the chimney but the noise is always louder upstairs.
A neighbour told me there is an old drain running adjacent to the back of our houses (underground between the fence???) so wondering if the drain opens at 7 am/pm which is causing a vibration. Also not sure how this could be interacting with our house. But then why is it louder upstairs and only near the chimney. The noise has been consistent for the last 2 years since we moved in however, I might be imagining it but I'm sure its louder in the summer. I can't be sure.

To summarise:
--Vibration/banging noise lasting ~6 seconds.
--Around 7am/7pm daily but in addition to this can happen at any time of day.
--On the back wall of the house (detached).
--Around the area of the chimney (1985 build currently electric fireplace with old gas pipe).
--Always louder upstairs.
--Ruled out weather due to the frequency all year round.
--No central heating on that side/wall of the house. Modern combi boiler.
--No neighbours/garages/substations/kids or anything that might have that cadence.
--Only potential is an old drain, again can't see this being able to make such a noise. Nothing was on the plans given by the water company from when we moved in.

Any suggestions at all welcome as i'm stumped.

Sponsored Links
Any particular photos? If it's louder upstairs if Start with the loft maybe old tank or plumbing or some part of the roof etc ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back