Strange water heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a S-D combi boiler that has slowly been losing heat, the strange thing is that all the taps seems to be slowly losing there heat but the kids bathroom has lost it all together ?
Firstly what is causing the loss in water heat?
Secondly why would the kids bathroom be the only to lose it all ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Stevie

Sponsored Links
Not seen many of these boilers,but looking at the manual I would be suspecting the plate heat exchanger may be blocked/restricted on the primary side.This can be removed and cleaned by a diyer but a new plate is usually the best option.2 screws holds the plate in but new seals will be needed.The cause of the blockage needs to be addressed.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Another case of contaminated water on the primary side of your boiler. Was the system flushed when it was fitted 4 years ago? Probably not, needs to be cleaned and inhibitor fitted! Bet no inhibitor in there either.....

Quite a common problem when appliances aren't installed correctly as per industry standards alas.

Hi Guys,

Problem has worsened as there now is water leaking from behind the pump, hot water has gradually been getting colder.

67474e62.jpg

Water is dripping from here

a57e4a75.jpg

inbetween the housing & the black plate what looks like a drain hole

Any ideas how i can fix ? Funds are low at the moment & i would rate myself as having a go first.

TIA

I've drained down the boiler & removed the pump. Could the pump be faulty or could it just be that the gasket / seal has failed ?

Ta

Ps there was a strange ticking noise coming from this before the failure.

Its usually the dirt in the system which has blocked the plate HE has also worn out the pump bearings.

Feel the impeller for side movement.

End float of about 2-3 mm is normal.

Tony

Its usually the dirt in the system which has blocked the plate HE has also worn out the pump bearings.

Feel the impeller for side movement.

End float of about 2-3 mm is normal.

Tony

Thanks tony, its defo the pump then. I'll need to go looking for one. Any ideas to a supplier ?

To be sure you need to order one for your boiler.

There are at least three different heads and they have different impeller eye measurements.

If you could choose the right one then a standard cheaper pump head could be used.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back