Strangest thing you ever bought.

Sponsored Links
One of those bird of paradise flowers (Strelitzia) in a pot that I got pressured to buy in PdM airport in 1983.

Sooner or later, you (or in my case, the person I bought it for, my Mum) came to realise that it was just a flower stalk pushed into a pot filled with some compost...

Last laugh, she re-potted it with rooting powder, and has repotted it as it's grown over the years and it's flowered amazingly since then. It's about 7 feet tall now!

breathalizer for France - not actually needed and just sat under the seat in the motorhome.

I also have a pair of very expensive waterproof sailing shorts that I never wear, because when its raining, I don't want to wear shorts.

Sponsored Links
breathalizer for France - not actually needed and just sat under the seat in the motorhome.
I love the French solution for that one...

They pass a law saying breathalyzers are obligatory...

But the police tell the lawmakers that it is unenforceable...

So the lawmakers instead of withdrawing the law (but in order to save face) make the penalty for not having one 'nothing'...

Problem solved :)

Not me but my dad. Years ago when we moved into our first house with grass in the garden, my dad bought an electric lawnmower. It was a standard cylinder mower that had been converted to electric by bolting a washing machine motor onto it, fitting a couple of pulleys (one to the motor, one to the cylinder) with a fan belt connecting them together. There was no on/off switch but the weirdest thing was that the power cord came from the motor to a socket outlet that was mounted on the frame. The extension lead was a lead that had a three pin plug AT BOTH ENDS. He brought it home and told me to plug it in in the house, I warned him that the pins on the plug at his end would be live, he said something like “Don’t be effing stupid”, touched them and got thrown across the garden! He still used it for a while but remembered to plug the lawnmower end in first. Oh, and someone had to remain indoors to man the plug switch when it needed switching off.

Last edited:
Not me but my dad. Years ago when we moved into our first house with grass in the garden, my dad bought an electric lawnmower. It was a standard cylinder mower that had been converted to electric by bolting a washing machine motor onto it, fitting a couple of pulleys (one to the motor, one to the cylinder) with a fan belt connecting them together. There was no on/off switch but the weirdest thing was that the power cord came from the motor to a socket outlet that was mounted on the frame. The extension lead was a lead that had a three pin plug AT BOTH ENDS. He brought it home and told me to plug it in in the house, I warned him that the pins on the plug at his end would be live, he said something like “Don’t be effing stupid”, touched them and got thrown across the garden! He still used it for a while but remembered to plug the lawnmower end in first. Oh, and someone had to remain indoors to man the plug switch when it needed switching off.

That type of lead is known as a 'Widow maker' for obvious reasons.
A guy reportedly used one once to plug into his house electrics from a generator during a power cut. News story was that when the power network guy tried to rectify the fault his generator supply had been back feeding the grid and the worker was killed. No link to the story as it was many years ago when I heard it.

The most 'odd' thing that was bought for me, though it is a very welcome addition, is a bomb release button from an Avro Lancaster Bomber.

It sits proudly on my lounge window ledge between four small models of Lancaster Bombers. :)

The most 'odd' thing that was bought for me, though it is a very welcome addition, is a bomb release button from an Avro Lancaster Bomber.

It sits proudly on my lounge window ledge between four small models of Lancaster Bombers. :)
_96687772_bonbreleasebutton25000-40000.jpg

Just went for £40k at auction.

This was from Dave Maltby's Lancaster which had the second direct hit on the Möhne Dam. This in turn caused the second larger breach and instigated the dams ultimate collapse.

No wonder it went for £40k

For me, the strangest thing by far would have to be that engagement ring.

Sponsored Links
Back