Straw bale infill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for information on the problems using straw bale as infill in an oak frame DIY new build.

The benefits I already know.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
fire protection, wiring system suitable for it ( MICC I seem to recall from a tv program on it. )

Sponsored Links
The Big Bad Wolf?......... huffing and puffing?

Mutley_laughing.gif

Check out the cost of insurance. I've got a thatched roof and the insurance is much higher.

The hay must be kept dry before and during construction.

And then it should be kept dry during the life of the building. So care must be taken to maintain the weather protection (ie the render) - pay attention to shrinkage of the frame

The design must also prevent dampness to the base of the walls

In use adequate fire protection should be incorporated into the design, and obviously, once this is breached then the structure is liable to be compromised much faster than masonry

The Big Bad Wolf?......... huffing and puffing?

Do you mean the local planning and building control officers ?

The hay must be kept dry before and during construction.
Hay isn't usable, that has lots of problems. Straw that was cut and baled when dry is the only acceptable material.

The insurance is something I had not thought about. Though living in a self built timber framed house I should have as our premium is loaded due to the construction.

Oh yes, of course.

It seems my pedant filter is not working since I upgraded to IE 8

Hay is a food product for animals.

Straw is a by-product from crop farming and is very durable. Used for animal bedding and can be mixed with manure for ground fertiliser.

Well, I will pop down to the farm at the weekend and give Daisy some "hay" and Florence some "I can't believe it's not hay", and see if they can taste the difference

I will also make Pinkys' pen up with some "straw", and Perkys bed with some "Straw-lite" and go back the next day to see who has had a good nights rest and who is moping around grunting with a bad back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back