strength of shed walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - i am collecting materials for my new shed (about which I have posted before), but i am now looking for advice/reassurance on the design. basically, I intend to use basic interlocking tiles on a 45* pitched roof but I am un-sure whether the design will take the weight of the roof.

the basic design is a follows -

dimensions of shed = 2.4m by 3.6m
floor construction, 18mm OSB over 4x2 joists at 400mm centres
walls, 3x2 cls clad with 9mm (maybe 11mm) OSB
Roof construction, 45* pitch, 3x2 rafters and 3x2 ceiling joists at 400mm centres

One side of the shed will have windows and i have some 4x2 which I could use vertically either side and some 6x2 which i could screw together to form a 6x4 lintel of sorts.

So basically, will the design be capable to supporting somewhere in the region of 850Kg of concrete tiles (circa 53kg per m2)

I appreciate i'm unlikely to get a definitive answer, but i would be interested in thoughs from anyone who has constructed a similar shed.

Most of the materials i have are free/reclaimed so I have limited choice.

Many Thanks
Phil

Sponsored Links
Sounds ok in principal, if you are really worried then you could always add extra timbers to trust up each rafter with the ceiling joists. The biggest problem is stopping the walls spreading but your ceiling joists should prevent this.
Kudos for using reclaimed materials too.

Thanks for the reply, it makes sense. I may look into this roof design a little further.

Kudos for using reclaimed materials too.

Thanks ^^ i will end up purchasing some materials new, probably the roof battens and cladding for the finish. I am looking for reclaimed OSB or ply sheets at present but these are not so easy to track down...

Sponsored Links
hi
Unless your going to cover the osb with something water proof. I wouldnt recommend it for a floor. it looks like weetabix and behaves like weetabix when wet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back