Strengthen attic joists to support heavy items.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of renovating my house which has meant I've started to accumulate a collection of tools. I keep some in the shed but I need to find a home for my power tools and tools I want to avoid rust.

I need somewhere to house them when I finish all the work I'm doing. The original plan was to build a insulated lean to shed onto my house which I could heat and store everything in there. Unfortunately to do this I would need planning permission as I live in a conservation area.

I started to think of storing in the attic but there are a few cracks in the upstairs ceiling where I've been up there to get christmas decorations etc. So I'll need to strengthen the ceiling joists and probably add some more insulation.

The joists are 4 x 2 and span approximately 5.5m. All walls upstairs are not load bearing so can't count on them for much support. I was thinking of gluing and screwing some 4 x 2 on top of the exisiting but the problem is I have what appear to be three strong backs (one either side and down the middle) running across the ceiling joists. This means I can't add new 4x2 in one length and no support would be added at the centre of the ceiling joist.

I was thinking of adding loft stilts and then 4 x2 along it so I could clear the strongbacks and then board but don't know if this is a good or bad idea.

I've included some images of my loft and any help would be great.

Thanks

Jason

20190804_141522.jpg 20190804_141416.jpg 20190804_141430.jpg

Sponsored Links
I am in a similar situation. Our loft rooms (they have been rooms for over a hundred years) are fully boarded, have windows, lighting etc and are actually historically classed as bedrooms. However, the floor joists are only 3 x 2 across span of approx 3.5 metres. I cant increase the height of the joists as this would mean replacing the ceilings and I cannot lose any height in the loft bedrooms. So my only choice would be to "sister" the existing joists with 3 x 3 joists, then replace floor boards screwing into the new joists. This may or may not help you.

Sponsored Links
Adds huge amount of strength.
Sorry but it doesn't. All it does is add a series of point loads along each of the existing ceiling joists, instead of a uniform load. No building inspector or checking SE would allow a loft conversion to be done on that basis.

Last edited:
Sorry but it doesn't. All it does is add a series of point loads along each of the existing ceiling joists, instead of a uniform load. No building inspector or checking SE would allow a loft conversion to be done on that basis.
No loft conversion mentioned .

Last edited:
Have you got the headroom to create a superstructure with chunky timbers (possibly JJ Ibeams or similar) spanning between the gable ends (dunno what that span is so can't suggest what you'd need). First thing to check- could you actually get timbers the required length into the loft without major hassle?

How heavy are we talking 4x2" is massive in terms of ceiling ties, do you have a spine wall?

The overlapping joists in the first pic suggest a spine or supporting wall

Blup

Span between gable wall is about 5.8m. I should be able to get some new joists up there.

I was hoping to convert the attic properly in a few years but was just looking for a suitable temporary solution to store some tools. Which the existing setup would struggle with.

I'll have building control around in a few months to sign off some other work so might ask them then what they think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back