stress values needed for rsj's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I need to put steel to carry second lift up to roof eaves

I am told I need a structeral engineer to punch in the span (2.4m and the joist size)

and for that he will press a key to print and charge me 200 quid

any one know the following values so I can give to building control

beam 175x100 span 2.4 plus 300mm bed (2.7 metre)
beam 200x100 span 2.4 plus 300mm bed (2.7 metre)

I intend to get 2 and bolt them together to carry the brick and block

appreciate your thoughts peeps

Sponsored Links
Those two sizes are not even standard Universal Beams or Universal Columns, actual sizes are 203x102 & 178x102you obviously have little knowledge about structural steel. As you have already specified the steel sizes what do you want the engineer to calculate

I suggest you get an engineer to do the work, He will also calculate what bolts are required as Building Contol will want to see calcs anyway.

Jason

Of course I know the exact sizes you sarcastic clown
If you can't help don't bother replying you idiot

I was generalising and will use other forums where they don't point score

I specified the sizes and span for stress values so I could give to planning read the flippin post

(though maybe I should have said 7x4 and 8x4 to stop you being picky)

but I suppose you would have said "where have I been for thirty years we use metric now"

I only have to use superbeam 4 or prosteel 5 to get a listing of every type of steel and size I could ever need

Building control do not need to see absolutely every bit of the the calcs as they have the civil engineers reference works to interpret

admin/mods

if this is the quality of reply/poster please close my registration

Jasonb said:
Those two sizes are not even standard Universal Beams or Universal Columns, actual sizes are 203x102 & 178x102you obviously have little knowledge about structural steel. As you have already specified the steel sizes what do you want the engineer to calculate

I suggest you get an engineer to do the work, He will also calculate what bolts are required as Building Contol will want to see calcs anyway.

Jason
==================================
Lynda, moderator

There was no need to be offensive

Sponsored Links
will do

thanks for that m8, it's appreciated

Hitachimad said:
Have a look at the corus website...they have all the numbers you will need.

I thought you were closing your registration? You've got what you wanted, now kindly bugger off.
You wouldn't walk into a pub for the first time and start abusing the locals, so don't do it here.

last post

what I said was if this is the only kinda reply I will get then remove me (words to that effect)

thankfully there are some decent folks in here who post helpfully

unlike twits like you three who can't hold their attention span long enough to read the post all the way through and understand it fully

If I walk into a pub I don't expect to be abused by asking a simple question either mate

Darkrob_DIY said:
Well said Deluks couldnt agree more.

The only abuse I can see in this thread is from you spudorange. Nothing Jasonb wrote could be termed as abusive, in fact as far as I can see it is good advice. You came here and asked for help. People here have taken time to reply to your post. If you don't like the advice you're given, take your abuse and your requests for help elsewhere.

Be nice children,

Spudorange, what loadings are you taking on the new steels? floors spanning onto, height of walls, spans of roof (pitched or flat).

Youll need bolts and spacers between the steels also potentially padstones.

The engineer will also take responsibility for the design, thus if it is inadequate you have someone to blame and get compensation from all for £200.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back